Oil for older Johnson - Evinrudes

82rude

Rear Admiral
Re: Oil for older Johnson - Evinrudes

yes. use tcw3 outboard oil.your choise on brand or weather you want conventional or syn.

handifly

Seaman

If it hasn't run for a long time, use 16:1 - a gallon of fuel

Then go to 24:1

The marine outboard 2-stroke oil
is on sale at iBoats Part # 18-9500-1 for $4.60/qt
I found this out after paying $11. at a marina and just ordered a few

Whatever you do, use marine 2-stroke oil

kfa4303

Banned

+1. Any modern TCW-III, 2-stroke, outboard oil is fine. There are lots of brands, but they all burn up the same in the end. I would avoid buying it at the marina/boat store unless you feel like paying double the usual rate for the same product. Wal-mart and most auto parts stores sell it for about $5 a quart. Generally speaking, most OMC models up to the mid 50s run 16:1, models from the mid 50s-early 60s run 24:1 and most models made after '64 can run 50:1 mix, but most folks err on the side of caution with these old motors and run a little extra oil in them for good measure. Be sure you're running the correct plugs as well. Champion are the preferred brand for OMC motors with most models up to about 20hp using J4C plugs with the larger hp models +30hp using J6C. They're readily available at most auto parts stores for about $5 a pair.

outboardsusa

Seaman

Thanks for all the help, 45 years ago my Dad put a quart of 30 wt to 6 gallons then they came out with a pint to 6 gallons, marine fuel mix was .40 a gallon, he thought that was expensive

outboardsusa

Seaman

Do the synthetic oils smoke more? .. and can that be adjusted with the lean and rich controls?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Some folks say synthetic oils smoke less. I did a comparison and the results are inconclusive. If it were me I would run the cheapest TCW-III 2 cycle oil you can find. Likely that will be Walmart Supertech.

Always run the motor at the right gas oil ratio. You saw KFA's recommendations?

outboardsusa

Seaman

Thank you the oil I got says use for 16:1 8 ounces per gallon and 25:1 is 5 ounces per gallon, so it's best to run 16:1? Back in the day when I had motors like this it was one quart of 30 wt per 6 gallons, I think it was non detergent oil we used, but I will take you advice, thanks again

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Thank you the oil I got says use for 16:1 8 ounces per gallon and 25:1 is 5 ounces per gallon, so it's best to run 16:1? Back in the day when I had motors like this it was one quart of 30 wt per 6 gallons, I think it was non detergent oil we used, but I will take you advice, thanks again

There is good advice on fuel mixes on the engine FAQs board. See http://forums.iboats.com/engine-fre...-oil-mix-most-motors-covered-here-158072.html