What year is my johnson seahorse 18?

MountainManMyke

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello. I have a johnson seahorse 18. The serial number is 328455 and the model number is fd-15f. Just wondering what yr so i can order some tuneup parts... the motor had no spark and found out it had 2 cracked coils. Anyone know anything about this engine? Points gap ect... Thanks

MountainManMyke

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: What year is my johnson seahorse 18?

I have ordered all my parts i need for this engine...... i ordered everything off of iboats.... i cant find a float for my carb, wierd.... any ideas where i might be able to find this float? thanks

MountainManMyke

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks so much for the help with everything....

kfa4303

Banned

Hi Myke. Yup, that's a '61 model. Here are some great links that will have you up and running again in no time. You can get any routine parts you may need for the job like carb kits, impellers, coils, etc...right here at iboats for about $20 each.

Maintaining Johnson E & FD Serie
1961 Johnson FD-15 18 hp Outboard Motor Parts
3 HP Evinrude Lightwin Ignition System Tune-Up 1952-1967 (great ignition rebuild link. It's for a different model, but all of the steps are the same for your motor)

MountainManMyke

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So, i changed everythin on my johnson 18, new coils, condensors, points., turned it by hand before i tightened the flywheel , everything was good had a nice blue spark. Put the flywheel on zapped it with my 3/8 impact quick. threw on the recoil and was gonna try and fire it up. Pulled it, sounded kind of rough, took it all apart and the cam the followers ride on was cracked. Anybody know where to find this part? on marine engine.com the part number is 0316583. Pls help

kfa4303

Banned

Hi Myke. Impact drivers are great for removing a stubborn flywheel nut, but it needs to be tightened back down to the proper spec with a torque wrench. I think the impact driver might have over tightened the flywheel nut causing the cam to crack. I would check ebay, aomci.org, or bite the bullet and buy one from marineengie.com. The good news is that a cam from any 18 hp should work.

Last edited:

MountainManMyke

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sorry i forgot to say marineengines.com discontinued the part. Thats why im asking thanks

kfa4303

Banned

In that case, ebay, aomci.org and asking around here in the forums are probably your best bet.