1990 Evinrude 120 Looper Tilt trim help

jimlisa21

Cadet
Hi all. I have a 1990 Evinrude Looper e120tles. Having a little problem with the trim tilt. All I get is a light click from one of the relays. I cannot get the up relay to click as well. I am in the process in replacing the tilt /trim motor. Both relays are good but only one is powered. Do u folks know wgat I should look at? Thanks!

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1990 Evinrude 120 Looper Tilt trim help

The two wire electric motor is a dual polarity motor, meaning that if it runs in one direction, it will most certainly run in the other direction. Are you sure that the electric motor is bad?

Did the PTT unit work in either direction with the electric motor you are replacing? Does it work in either direction with the new electric motor?

You need to determine whether proper voltage is being applied to the relay assemblies or if the relays are indeed faulty. If you can get the unit to move in one direction and not the other... and switching the relays causes the problem to reverse itself, then obviously one of the relays is faulty.

jimlisa21

Cadet

Thanks! I did put 12v directly from battery to original motor which I havent replaced yet. I do have a new motor to install. The existing motor will not work at all. I realize it is a polarity deal to control the up down by reversing the motor direction along with polarity, So I will be replacing the motor for one that I have brand new. I did swap relays and when I do only the down relay will click. The same thing happens when I swap relays, The same position clicks and the other will not as if there is no power. So I have proven that the relays are good but the up relay will not click. Now that we talk I do remember that my emergency tilt release has not been retightened,..the engine is in the up position. I really appreciate the help on this.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Okay, keep us informed as to what takes place after installing the new electric motor.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Also check all the connections in the relay box for any corrosion.

jimlisa21

Cadet

Thanks I'll swap the motors tomorrow and let you know how I make out. I couldn't get to it today. Btw there is no corrosion in the box but I suspect a connection somewhere is culprit. I will recheck the box again. I would be more confident if there were a click from both relays for up / down at this point. I really don think putting the motor in the circuit will make a difference but what the heck.
I do have a question,...is it advisable to use a little heat (propane) on the tilt motor hold down screws? If I cant get it off tomorrow I will plug the new motor in for test purposes and see what happens. Thanks!!!

Last edited:

jimlisa21

Cadet

trim motor operates in one direction only just as I suspected When I hit the switch in the reverse direction I get nothing, not even a click:( Guess I just have to trace the wiring, thought there might be a common problem but I guess not?

Last edited:

jimlisa21

Cadet

Ok, I'm not going to beg for help. I'll get it done. It's just that I have heard a lot of good things about this forum I thought I could get some useful advise. Thanks for everything...

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Ok, I'm not going to beg for help. I'll get it done. It's just that I have heard a lot of good things about this forum I thought I could get some useful advise. Thanks for everything...

Are you getting voltage to both the Green and Blue wire at the PTT switch? If nothing happens, no click, no nothing... perhaps the PTT switch isn't supplying voltage to the relays in that direction.

Keep in mind that many of us have been in the trade for many (MANY) years and are up in age. We don't get paid for what we do here, trying to help our fellow man, we do it as a courtesy to our fellowman BUT we do not sit on this forum constantly waiting for someone to come along with a problem.

I have a fuel problem with my FORD truck but I do not expect someone in the Ford forum to be sitting there, just itching to burst forth with the answer I need within a matter of hours... patience is a virtue I'm told.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Well spoken Joe, My thoughts exactly.

jimlisa21

Cadet

This was my first post with you guys

Ya you guys are generally awesome.
It just got me that I get no response until I write a brazen reply. Oh well. Human nature I suppose..

If I can ever help you just let me know.
Need some help on your Ford?

Tt's now working fine thanks for all the help.

Last edited:

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

So what was the problem?

Cajunwannabe

Recruit

I really appreciate reading on this topic. I'd love to know exactly what the problem was that Jimlisa 21 finally fixed.

I have a 140 looper and the tilt n trim clicks when I try both up and down. I disconnected the green / blue harness and tried to directly activate tilt / trim motor off a battery. It doesn't do anything but try to arc. I am guessing bad motor? My problem sounded a little similar to JimLisa21. Do y'all think I'm on the right track? I've swapped relays and checked all wiring and it looks good. Everything was working this past Friday, trimmed down and that was it.....now clicking.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Cajunwannabe... PM sent.

jimlisa21

Cadet

Joe, What do you mean?
There is no problem. T/T's now working.
I believe I stated that above.
Not saying I appreciate your candor, but so what.
Is there a problem on your end???

boobie

Supreme Mariner

But you never did say what you did to fix it ?? A lot of people ask questions and we give them answers but you never came back with the final solution!! That's RUDE !!

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Joe, What do you mean? There is no problem. T/T's now working. I believe I stated that above. Not saying I appreciate your candor, but so what. Is there a problem on your end???

No, there's no problem on my end. It's just that most members state what the problem was when they find and correct the situation. You had a problem with the PTT... We did our what we could to help solve the situation and would appreciate it if you would enlighten us at to what the problem was and the cure that solved it.

ronward

Petty Officer 1st Class

No, there's no problem on my end. It's just that most members state what the problem was when they find and correct the situation. You had a problem with the PTT... We did our what we could to help solve the situation and would appreciate it if you would enlighten us at to what the problem was and the cure that solved it.

Joe, please don't let people like this to deter you. I'm pretty new here and pretty new to outboards but I have learned ( thru reading and asking) a tremendous amount from you, F-R, boobie, and nwcove. Please don't stop doing what you do. I'm managing keeping 3 motors going mainly because of you guys. Thank you

jimlisa21

Cadet

Joe,
Sure I believe it was an open in the forward trim switch. I also checked all connections and cleaned what I could. It then worked. It could have just been the cleaning of the connections or the apparent open as I addressed them all together. not methodically. I think the connections were culprit.

I misinterpreted your response above and took offense. My bad. That's all. Appologies,Thanks.
Ps I'm off this thread while I can get out alive. Lol.