76 evinrude 25hp powerhead removal

stumbler

Cadet
I'm trying to remove the powerhead from the exhaust housing to do a rebuild. My manual says to remove the front and back bolts from the powerhead. The back ones no problem but the front one is a different story. I can see the bolt but there is no way to get a wrench on it. Do I need to disassemble more or.... any help or comments would be great

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 76 evinrude 25hp powerhead removal

You CAN get a wrench/screwdriver on it. I've done a lot of them. Some have a Phillips head screw, some have a special hex head bolt with a smaller than normal hex. Phillips is self-explanatory, the hex requires a 1/4" drive socket on an extension.

AlTn

Commander
Re: 76 evinrude 25hp powerhead removal

I've had success driving a wooden wedge between the exhaust housing and the swivel bracket .With all other powerhead screws removed, loosen the 2- 9/16" nuts on the motor mounts < 1 on each side > drive the wedge in low right across the spring and it should shift enough to get a socket on that front screw. Keep the wedge low as you'll need room to use an extension. I forget the socket size, but I recall using a wobble extension on a 1/4" drive rachet. All this is done with the motor in full tilt, almost horizontal, and leaned over to the gearshift side <starboard>.