'64-65 Evinrude Sportwin 9.5 Prop Slip?

H2oWerker

Recruit
Hi guys (and gals) I finally got my boat in the water yesterday, and the motor ran like a dream. With one exception...

My wife and I were in my Meyers 12' aluminum boat w/ our fishing gear (say 400LBS total weight) and the boat wouldn't plane-out. She was in front and I was running the tiller. When we got under way I was a bit gun shy about going WOT as it was my first time running this rig. So I only pushed 3/4 throttle and we moved along nicely. A couple hours later as we were headed back across open water I was feeling confident enough to go WOT but something wasn't right. Just past what I assume to be 3/4 throttle the RPM's surged and it felt as if I'd lost traction. Roll off the throttle to 1/2 and the thrust came back. Try as I might I could not get her to run flat-out.
:blue:

The previous owner (nice old man that loved to haggle LoL) had just had a new prop installed prior to selling the boat. I believe this to be true as there weren't any signs of use. No scrapes, scuffs, bends, dings, or signs of cavitation. So I have little confidence in a service center doing much more than taking my $.

I found this thread to be somewhat informative:
Evinrude Shifting Into Neutral
But there's no description of how to repair this w/o going to an "Authorized Dealer", and I feel this is something I can repair myself. (given enough information) And as I stated I don't believe that 'new' parts are going to help.

Was water getting into the hub and acting as a lubricant? How could I prevent that?
Can I use spacers to increase the 'squeeze' on the hub?
Can I 'glue' the hub into the prop to prevent it from slipping under normal load?

Can I do anything besides shelling out $$ to have the problem "fixed" only to have it happen again when it's not in a test tank?

Thanks in Advance.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: '64-65 Evinrude Sportwin 9.5 Prop Slip?

Sure sounds like a spun prop hub. No DIY fix, bring it back to where it was bought from and have them warranty it.

nwcove

Admiral

do the mark the hub and prop thing, and see what the results are. how high is the anti-vent plate in relation to the keel? maybe its sucking air at the higher rpms?

H2oWerker

Recruit

The "anti-suck" plate is well below the water line. We are plowing enough water that the wake is almost coming over the transome when I off-throttle. I'll try to get some pics tomorrow when we are out again. It's our 10th anniversary and we're goin' fishin'. (Cause I caught a keeper!)

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Sounds like you might have a couple of problems. A spun prop hub and a long shaft motor on a short shaft transom.

geoffwga1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I know everyone says that it is not a diy fix when the hub spins but I am happily running on a regular basis a Gale 12hp that had a spun hub that i fixed with epoxy resin.I don't expect it to last forever but it has laste d 8 months so far with no probs.Not recommending it as a regular practice but as an emergency measure it is working for me.
Geofg69a1

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Geoff the problem is that the hub is no longer doing its intended job. A prop is cheaper than a powerhead.

H2oWerker

Recruit

Sounds like you might have a couple of problems. A spun prop hub and a long shaft motor on a short shaft transom.

I don't have that long a shaft. :laugh: It's a shorty...

I know everyone says that it is not a diy fix when the hub spins but I am happily running on a regular basis a Gale 12hp that had a spun hub that i fixed with epoxy resin.I don't expect it to last forever but it has laste d 8 months so far with no probs.
Geofg69a1

That's kinda what I was hoping to hear. What kind/how much epoxy did you use?

A prop is cheaper than a powerhead.

It sure is!!!

Here's where I'm looking to go w/ a DIY "fix". I'd like to find some temporary means to semi-permanently attach the hub/prop. Like 3 "dots" or stripes of bonding agent that will allow me to go WOT. But won't be so strong as to guarantee powerhead damage if something unfortunate happens while underway.

I'd like to find out if this little motor has what it takes to get me where I want to go in something of a hurry. Maybe it isn't capable of pushing hard enough to plane-out my boat. If that's the case, I don't want to spend $ repairing it, and I should just start looking for something else. If it does have enough power, I might start looking for a "donor" motor to hang on the wall for future use.

H2oWerker

Recruit

Out on the water again today, and things were a little different. I didn't change anything. But she ran WOT and planed out w/o any issue. "What did you do?" you may ask. Nothing. Just posted here about the trouble, and hit the water for some fishing.

nwcove

Admiral

Out on the water again today, and things were a little different. I didn't change anything. But she ran WOT and planed out w/o any issue. "What did you do?" you may ask. Nothing. Just posted here about the trouble, and hit the water for some fishing.

jmo....but something was different!! maybe the boat was loaded slightly different?

H2oWerker

Recruit

Nope. The boat was loaded in virtually the same manner. Fuel, battery, seating, and cooler placement were identical.

The only exceptions being:
My wife didn't bring her life jacket, the fuel tank was lighter by the amount of fuel we used the previous trip (we used about 1.5gal), and we brought an extra container of worms.

I fail to see how loading the boat differently would allow WOT without prop-slip. The prop hub should either hold up to the full torque applied by the prop shaft, or not. Getting up on plane? Load placement would certainly effect the ability to plane out.