New(to me) '73(?) Evinrude Sportster 25

brs608

Recruit
Hello Guys, new to out board repair but not engine repair. I have inherited a boat and motor from my grandfather when he passed. He was an avid bass fisher and a certified outboard repair man in WPB FL back in the 70's- early '80s. He took flat bottom JonBoat and custom built it to a nice Lil bass rig. I've also gotten all his repair manuals. Problem is, according to model/serial # (25352A E0003430) its a '73. My father has told me that other years make/models also correspond to this one. Anyone have any ideas which? When I got it, right after hurricane Rita, Father told me that the lower unit was frozen. Saltwater had gotten right up to 1"below the cover. Plug was left out of boat, no one thought it would flood. I pulled the plugs back then and filled cylinders w oil. I've finally gotten to the point that I have time to start trying to get Motor up and going. I pulled the head, exhaust cover and intake covers to find that cyl2 had some water and has rust frozen. I've filled with a penetrating oil and its been sitting for a bit, now I can just slightly rock flywheel back and forth. Cyl1 is free, I can rock piston by hand and can see it moving ever so slightly when I rock flywheel. I believe that cyl2 will either need to be bored or resleeved if possible. Problem is, I don't know where to start w disassembly. All the linkages and whatnot. I know I'll need all the usual suspects, gaskets, impeller etc,etc. I'm just trying to figure if its worth the time, effort and expense. I'm kind of sentimental about it. Would really love to get this up and going.

Thanks in advance,
Brian

AlTn

Commander
Re: New(to me) '73(?) Evinrude Sportster 25

welp, to begin disassembly you can start at the top or the bottom. The manuals will get you through it. I use marineengine.com for parts diagrams and prices, ebay, c/l's,iboats, and many others. If the lower unit is frozen as well as the powerhead, it will be no small expense or effort. As long as it's just time and effort, you'll learn a lot just disassemblying it for evaluation. The model #25352A is for a 1973 model.

brs608

Recruit

Pulled lower unit apart yesterday. Had good clean oil in it. Doesn't seem to be frozen. Think dad had tried to pull start and when it wouldn't turn just figured not was lower unit. I think its just the #2 cylinder.

AlTn

Commander

ok..read ahead in your manuals about keeping the bearings,rods, and pistons separated by cylinder. Mixing up bearing caps, bearings, rods, pistons, etc. doesn't work, they are to be kept separate by cylinder. Also note the how and why to mark bearing caps, bearings, rods, and piston orientation during disassembly.