Please help 1993 40 hp johnson tracker

Lindop257

Recruit
I just bought this boat cheap. Didnt have a trailer and didnt run. I built a trailer and got it home with the trolling motor. I got it to start on the muffs. Awesome i thought all was good. Took it out on the lake and could not get it up past 3500 rpms. It would shake bad and sound bad. Things done. I cleaned the carbs but have not bought new carb seals, new plugs, fuel pump will squirt great just turning over. Also when the motor is acting up, pumping the bulb will not change it. Also when its acting up, pushing in the choke which just squirts fuel, no choke blades, will bog it down not help it. I hooked a timing light up to it running on the water. At around 3000 the light starts to flicker. at 3500 its a steady light but much slower like its running around 1500. I dont think its a fuel issue, but breaking down in the ingition side. I have also unplugged the brown wire to the power pack, with no help. Tried several things, been on the water three time with no change. Does anyone have any suggestions. I would really appricate. it runs like a rev limiter is coming into play.

Lindop257

Recruit
Re: Please help 1993 40 hp johnson tracker

Also to add. to get it to idle i had to turn Idle screws out 3 full turns. I thought this was odd. Also plugs were Black after 15 minutes of running on the water at 3000 rpms. Ill post a pic of the plugs and the brown wire i disconnected. Thanks for any helpphoto 1(9).JPGphoto 2(9).JPG

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like ignition prob to me. Will the spark jump a 7/16 " open air gap on a spark tester ??

Lindop257

Recruit

Yes it will jump a 7/16 gap. Also i tried the timing light on both cylinders and same result. Tried testing the stator brown to brown yellow and got an open circut. It charges at 14.7 when reved up. Also there was a vacumn port at the bottom of the block right under the carbs. The hose is gone. What went here. Thanks again for the help. I think the timer base tested 25 ohms. Cant remeber ill recheck later

Lindop257

Recruit

Well just got it fixed. Ordered a dva adapater of ebay and checked the voltage on all componets acording to cdi trouble shooting. Great website. Everything tested good exept stator showed 30 volts when connected the brown wires to ground. Meaning it was shorting out. Also took it for a test run and only got 150 volts on the small wire connecting to the coils. Went ahead and ordered the stator and runs great now. Hope this helps anybody reading. If your thinking about it go ahead and order the dva adapter. It saves alot of time. Dont be a parts replacer to just chase problems.