1987 200hp johnson

drtownson

Recruit
I have a 200 hp johnson with a shifting problem while it is on the trailer I can crank the motor and put it into foward and reverse and back into neutral without any problem with the water hooked to the foot but as soon as I put it into the lake and put it into foward or reverse it will not let me shift it back into neutral. I can stop the motor from running and it will let me shift it back to neutral but only if the motor is not running has anyone seen this before?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1987 200hp johnson

Hi, drtownson. :welcome:

With no load on the prop it will tend to rotate from agitation of the lubricant. How do you know it is not doing this?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like you have a bad shift switch. It's on the starboard side of the mtr down by the shift linkage.

drtownson

Recruit

Bare with me I am not used to these Forums. I can be running down the river and start to throttle back the throttle moves easly till I get to neutral which it stops and will not let me put the throttle into neutral unless I turn the motor off and then the throttle will go into neutral. I have broken 2 throttles and am working on the third one now. I have learned to deal with this problem by cutting off the motor shifting to neutral and recranking the boat and either shifting foward or reverse and the cutting off the motor again and shifting back to neutral.

drtownson

Recruit

Thanks can some one explain what this switch does and do you have a picture of it?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

It knocks out the stbd 3 cylinders when coming out of gear which momentarily drops the mtr rpm to release the dog and gear in the lower unit. Go to shop.evinrude.com and look up your mtr. It's in the shift linkage area.

daselbee

Commander

Nobody said to shotgun it. Test it first. Test the operation. There are posts on here that describe in detail how to do it.