1985 Evinrude 90 hp VRO/warning horn problem - please help!

kinni-kid

Recruit
I have a 1985 Evinrude 90 hp V4 OB. I have just completed a carb clean and rebuild as the boat has not run in 1-1/2 yrs. While going through other maintenance items, I noticed that my alarm horn was not working (tested each sensor to ground with no alarm). The OEM horn is pricey, so it was suggested that I replace it with a cheap-o 12 vdc horn from Allied Electronic.

After I installed the cheap-o horn, I re-tested the sensors (2 temp sensors, VRO pump and oil tank level). The temp sensors seem to be good (they would alarm when grounding them), the low oil level is also good. However, the horn sounds with the VRO (3-wire plug) connected and stops when disconnected. Also, the horn is a constant sound, not the beep, beep beep that it is supposed to be for the oil flow. All of the testing has been done with the key on, engine not running.

My questions are, does the engine need to be running to test the VRO sensor? What exactly is this sensor testing? I believe that my VRO has been upgraded since the unit on the motor has a VRO2 tag on it and it has a sensor connected to it. Is the constant alarm, rather than the beep, beep a result of using a cheap-o horn rather than the OEM part?

Any suggestions on how to proceed would be appreciated.
Thanks

kjdunne

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1985 Evinrude 90 hp VRO/warning horn problem - please help!

The constant alarm is not due to the "cheap-o" replacement horn. You just won't get the short chirp when the key is first turned ON. Make sure the black wire that was connected to the OEM horn is not connected to the substitute horn, just purple to + and tan to -. Mix some 50:1 fuel and run the engine with the oil tank connected also, the alarm may stop after the VRO starts pumping oil. The constant alarm instead of the rapid beep is unusual, but since the engine has been sitting for 1 1/2 yrs., get it running for a while and see what happens. The pre-mix fuel plus VRO oiling won't hurt anything.

kinni-kid

Recruit
Re: 1985 Evinrude 90 hp VRO/warning horn problem - please help!

Thanks for the information. I will try re-installing the VRO pump, mix my gas 50:1 and see if the alarm is still present with the engine running.

Also, my horn only has 2 connections, one purple and one tan, no black wire.