Problems with 1971 Johnson 60 hp going in to forward gear.

gratefulstu

Cadet
Hi all,
New to boating. I've got myself a 1971 Johnson 60hp that has the electric shift. I'm not sure the problem is electrical, but we will see what you think.
Last season, no problems. The beginning of this season, no problems. However they started intermittently, when trying to put the boat in forward. At first, I would push forward on the throttle, the engine would rev but not go into gear. I would put it in neutral and then reverse for a second and then put it back into forward. I would hear a clunk and then it would go. I may or may not have the same problem that day. It would almost always go into forward after going from forward, neutral to reverse, back to forward and always clunk when it did. Sometimes it was no problem at all.
So, the last time I took it out, I was able to put in reverse to back away from the boat ramp. The lake was a bit shallow at the dock and I got stuck in the mud and weeds. It was going into forward but bogging down in the mud. I ended up cutting the engine and paddling out to a little deeper water. Now, when I put it in forward, nothing. It would not go into gear. I tried shifting to reverse and back to forward but nothing would happen. The engine would rev up but no forward.
One question I have is, if the boat is just sitting in my driveway, should I be able to spin the prop? It just spins freely. I never paid that much attention before, but It seems like before it would not spin.
I replaced the gear oil (with the type c). I started it up in my driveway with the water mufflers and got the same result.
Do you think its the clutch dog? Maybe a spring broke? It almost seems like a shear pin broke but I don't believe my set up has a shear pin. The rod and prop are splined.
Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Stu

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Problems with 1971 Johnson 60 hp going in to forward gear.

Welcome to the forum.
Your lower unit should default to forward when the engine isn't running, you shouldn't be able to spin the prop freely when it is not running.
Was there any metal in the lower unit when you changed the lower unit oil?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

If it is stuck in neutral while not running, the piston that moves the clutch dog is stuck in the oil pump bore. That happens from microscopic grit in the (dirty) oil. Only cure if you can't shake it loose by shifting back and forth is a complete teardown and cleaning. The oil pump is the last part to come out of the gearcase.

UNLESS the hub is totally stripped out of the prop. In that case the prop would spin on the hub (shaft not turning, prop is).

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like the plunger in the oil pump is stuck keeping it in neutral or you broke a drive shaft. That g/c goes to forward when not running. and the prop should lock up when sitting in your drive way.

gratefulstu

Cadet

Thanks for the reply. I will look at removing the oil pump and giving it a good cleaning. I'm guessing the lower unit needs to be removed to get to the pump?

FYI...No metal in the oil during the change.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Yes, the lower unit has to be removed and totally disassembled.
As I said, it is the microscopic stuff that jams it up, not visible metal chunks. The piston is a precision fit in the bore, no seals to help it. Because of the very close fit, it doesn't take much to make it quit sliding (a spring is what makes it move toward forward gear).

gratefulstu

Cadet

Ok, So seriously, how do you get the snap rings out? I tried 3 different snap ring pliers and a pair of long needle nose pliers that I filed down the nose on. The snap ring pliers didn't stand a chance. The needle nose worked for the first ring(what a freaking pain in the $%$%^)Took over a hour. I just can't seem to get the second ring out. I can't get a grip on the ring, squeeze and work the ring out. I think I need a plan B. Anyone?:confused:

It's really got me looking forward to the pinion and oil pump.:grumpy:

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

You have to use a really big pair of snap ring pliers. I think mine are about 14-16 inches long, with a tip that just fits the hole in the ends of the snap ring.

gratefulstu

Cadet

So progress has been slow, but there is still progress. I gotta say this whole thing is a big pain in the butt. Every step seems to be way more difficult that it should be.
Anyway, I got everything apart and replaced the seals, the screen on the oil pump, etc. I'm now putting it all back together. My question this time has to do with the drive shaft shimming. When I took out the drive shaft, I forgot to pay extra attention to how many shims there were. So I'm afraid that I need to measure the pinion gear shim distance. Either that or figure out what washers & rings don't belong somewhere else. What is the best way to go about this without the special shimming tool?
Also, I replaced the pinion gear bearing. On a 1971 60 hp, does it matter which way it goes in? Could it be put in upside down? I put it in the same way that the old one came out, but the old one was toast, so maybe it was in backwards.
Thanks in advance. You guys have been a big help.