1995 Johnson 4-stroke Fuel Pump Problem

smellfishone

Cadet
Recently discovered fuel in my oil/crankcase, discovered a tiny tear in the blue diaphragm of my fuel pump (OMC part # 435352). I bought a rebuild kit which includes this blue diaphragm, but it did not include a diagram of the lower end of this pump. My repair manual and all online diagrams only show the external connections to the fuel pump itself. There are two screws holding the two halves of this fuel pump assembly together. I thought I took it apart and rebuilt it correctly but it did not seem to be creating any vacuum or pushing any fuel to the carb. I tried removing the fuel line from the pump to the carb and cranked the motor over but I got no fuel to the carb. When I squeezed the primer bulb, I got all kinds of fuel out of this fuel line.

So, any gurus out there that can describe the correct sequence of reassembly? I'm a little worried about how these gaskets and covers should be oriented on the top half of the fuel pump, because there's like a smiley face or a frowny face to one of the plates and the whole assembly is square so it can go together with a smile or a frown or a ) or a (. If that description makes any sense to anyone!

Appreciate the feedback.

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: 1995 Johnson 4-stroke Fuel Pump Problem

How much horsepower this motor have, and how many cylinders?

clanton

Rear Admiral

Give me a couple days, I have a OEM manual, will try to in large the photo with a scanner.

clanton

Rear Admiral

I have located 3 OEM manuals photos very, very poor. manual does not give assy sequence. Parts looks like 2 springs, 2 check valves 1 diaphragm and 1 plunger. I`m guessing the end of the plunger rides on the cam or an arm off f the cam. Sorry not much help, unless you want to bring me the pump.

smellfishone

Cadet

Hi Clanton, yes, thats about right. The 2 springs and 2 check valves are in place. Im curious about the orientation of the square washer? n gaskets on either side of the half that has the check valves.
Theres only so many combinations so I may just try em all!

Btw the reason I have multiple fuel pumps is those little check valves came unseated in the past. So I bought a replacement pump as well as a rebuild kit.

If u can share any of those diagrams Id appreciate it. None of mine show the check valves so better than what I got. Thanks!

clanton

Rear Admiral

working on it.

clanton

Rear Admiral

You have PM.