1987 Evinrude 200 carbs and serial number

Jmshelto

Recruit
I recently purchased a 1999 24' Harris Kayot Legend deck boat with a 1987 Evinrude 200. The boat needs a lot of work, but I've decided to make it my fall/winter project. The boat starts right up, and sounds good, but has no power at all. (There is no tach...its on the project list.). I did a compression test, and all cylinders are right around 105 psi. I also spark tested it, and they all show good fire. I have a few different questions. From reading, my next step is to pull and rebuild the carbs. (The boat sat up for over a year.) I find 2 different carb kits (398558 & 398557) depending on model (200 or 200 XP). That's the first problem. The motor has been painted, and I can't find a serial number anywhere on the mount. The number on the freeze plug (398-530) seems to suggest the power head has been replaced and doesn't give any information regarding model. (There is no model listed on the title.) Are there other indicators that will help me figure out the exact model? What is the difference between the carb kits? Will kit #18-7248 work on either model? I'm also wondering if I have power pack issues, but haven't found a good way to troubleshoot them. Everything I've read, suggests replacing them, and see if that solves the problem. I'd rather not throw parts at it, without knowing the problem. Is there a good way to troubleshoot power packs? If the power packs are bad, should I also replace the stator? Is there a good way to test a stator. Sorry for dragging this out...it's my first post. Thanks in advance.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1987 Evinrude 200 carbs and serial number

Go tocdielectronics.com for ignition trouble shooting procedures. How do you know it's a 200 hp mtr ?? Your could call BRP customer service with that core plug # and maybe they could tell you.

Last edited:

Jmshelto

Recruit

My title says it's a 200, but no model or serial number. I did get a number off the throttle body just a minute ago...395039...if that helps.

clanton

Rear Admiral

The carb kit difference is in the gasket number 21. One number for 25 inch shaft motor, 1 number for XP, GT motors. The XP, GT motors have a 20 inch shaft, with large bore carbs.

1986/87 was also the years for a lot of carb problems. The original carbs and replacement carbs had a sticky on the carb with the carb number. Missing sticky, then you need the bore size of the carb, with this you can track down the correct parts.

clanton

Rear Admiral

I would remove one carb, the top port side, easy one to get off, very careful take it apart, see what it looks like. You may get by with just a cleaning. The plate on side with the 4 screws needs to come off for a gasket check. If this gasket is a solid gasket without the passages ways cut out, it needs to be replaced with updated gasket, which will be in the correct kit.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Clanton, are you talking about the old cross flow carbs with the gasket on top where you cut out the passages ?? I never have cut them on a looper.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

I never have cut them on a looper.
Neither have I......
Jmshelto paste a pic of carbs or how many carbs it actually has (three 2 barrel or six 1 barrel).

Jmshelto

Recruit

It has 6. Will this picture help? I started pulling carbs last night. I was hoping to find gummed up bowls/floats. I only had time to get the top two, and they both looked great.

Attachments

• 87Evinrude200.jpg
    87Evinrude200.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 0