1963 evinrude 10hp sportwin, removing carburetor

\\blacksheep

Recruit
Good morning Guys

I have a 1963 evinrude 10hp sportwin #10302E I bought this motor this year, I would like to remove the carburetor to inspect the hi speed valve. I am getting what can only be referred to as an oily froth (alot) on the inside of the exhaust housing , intially I thought I was getting some type of blow by from the lower unit because I was getting water in the gear case, I changed the O ring on the shifter assembly it fixed the water\ oil gear case issue but I'm still getting the froth.
The problem with removing the carb is there doesn't seem to be enough clearance between the carb linkage support and the lower engine housing to be able to get past the studs holding it to the engine?? I have a hard time believing the entire engine has to be removed from the lower housing just to remove the carb? does anyone have any tips or suggestions they would be greatly appreciated

JasonAych

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1963 evinrude 10hp sportwin, removing carburetor

Good morning Guys

I have a 1963 evinrude 10hp sportwin #10302E I bought this motor this year, I would like to remove the carburetor to inspect the hi speed valve. I am getting what can only be referred to as an oily froth (alot) on the inside of the exhaust housing , intially I thought I was getting some type of blow by from the lower unit because I was getting water in the gear case, I changed the O ring on the shifter assembly it fixed the water\ oil gear case issue but I'm still getting the froth.
The problem with removing the carb is there doesn't seem to be enough clearance between the carb linkage support and the lower engine housing to be able to get past the studs holding it to the engine?? I have a hard time believing the entire engine has to be removed from the lower housing just to remove the carb? does anyone have any tips or suggestions they would be greatly appreciated

You need a lower crank seal (and probably top). The froth is from water being sucked into crankcase, mixed iwth fuel/oil mixture, then blasted back out the seal.

\\blacksheep

Recruit

You need a lower crank seal (and probably top). The froth is from water being sucked into crankcase, mixed iwth fuel/oil mixture, then blasted back out the seal.

Sorry I'm alittle confused are you talking about the crankshaft or the drive shaft going into the lower unit ? I'm confused about where it is that your referring to " mixed with fuel /oil mixture" like I said in intial post I changed the O ring on the lower unit for the shifter and this fixed the problem of water getting into gear case , I pressure tested the gear case and it held at 10psi, I also took it out on the lake and all was good, sorry for taking this around the dance floor AGAIN ! but this is the first time I've ever worked on an outboard.

Thanks Again

JasonAych

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry I'm alittle confused are you talking about the crankshaft or the drive shaft going into the lower unit ? I'm confused about where it is that your referring to " mixed with fuel /oil mixture" like I said in intial post I changed the O ring on the lower unit for the shifter and this fixed the problem of water getting into gear case , I pressure tested the gear case and it held at 10psi, I also took it out on the lake and all was good, sorry for taking this around the dance floor AGAIN ! but this is the first time I've ever worked on an outboard.

Thanks Again

As I said, crank seal and I explained why you are still seeing what you refer to as froth (grey foamy sludge). You have oil in the fuel (at least I hope so). If you have a bad lower crank seal, water gets sucked up into engine, mixes with oil/fuel mixture (and air for that matter), then gets pushed back out the same bad crank seal. Your crankcase (and most 2 strokes) has both positive and negative pressure.

kfa4303

Banned

I blacksheep. Here are some great links to familiarize yourself with your new toy. I used to have a '61 10hp myself. For starters, don't be alarmed my the froth in the leg, that's normal on these old 2-strokes and is a result of the exhaust gases being mixed with the cooling water. You may however, still be getting water in the gearcase in which case you'll need to replace the olil seals, which is a DIY job. As for the carb, it's held in place by two 7/16" nuts. You simply remove them to take of the carb. It's a bit of a tight fit, but if you pull the carb a little bit as you loosen the nuts, you'll eventually make enough room for them to come off. Once the carb is removed, you can thoroughly clean and rebuild it. You can get any routine parts for it like carb kits, points & condensers, etc... right here at iboats for about $20 each. Give these links a read and holler if you get stuck.

Johnson
1963 Evinrude 10303E 10 hp Outboard Motor Parts

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant

How exactly do you see this oily froth. Is it when the motor is out of the water. I am pretty sure the exiting water from your cooling system travels through your exhaust system as well. In your exhaust system will be carbon from the burnt fuel and oil and residual fuel and oil that does not get burnt. The reason why 2 strokes are considered so dirty. Anyways, when one pulls a 2 stroke motor out of the water an oily frothy drip can drip out of the exhaust cavities for days, especially if the motor was used for trolling a lot or was idled for a considerable amount of time. This is normal.

If your gear case could hold 10 psi, I doubt it is leaking anything.

Yes, you should be able to access the two bolts that hold the carburetor on without removing the powerhead. You may need a smaller wrench and the movement range can be low but usually you can loosen the bolts and retighten them again.

JasonAych

Petty Officer 1st Class

Have to disagree here. I have 35+ 30's, 40s, 50s and 60's motors and I don't get the gray sludge on all the motors. In fact, I have had motors stop producing the sludge after replacing crank seals.

\\blacksheep

Recruit

As I said, crank seal and I explained why you are still seeing what you refer to as froth (grey foamy sludge). You have oil in the fuel (at least I hope so). If you have a bad lower crank seal, water gets sucked up into engine, mixes with oil/fuel mixture (and air for that matter), then gets pushed back out the same bad crank seal. Your crankcase (and most 2 strokes) has both positive and negative pressure.

Thanks for taking the time to respond please bear in mind like i said up until recently I have never worked on an outboard. OK so if its the crank shaft were talking about water is being sucked up thru the drive shaft housing probably at the impeller to the crank thru the seal then back out thru the same seal back down thru the drive shaft housing and out at the top of the impeller?? the inside of the drive shaft housing is clean as is the drive shaft? How i noticed this froth was from pulling the inspection cover at the shift connector and the first time I pulled the lower unit.

Thanks Again

bbstacker1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Jason maybe correct that you have a leaking lower crank seal, but my experience with the older motors shows that the 10 is one of the worst to have the grayish colored slim leaking out of it if run at slow speed or idle for any amount of time, it is just the design of the motor.

JasonAych

Petty Officer 1st Class

No. Would be water exiting the engine through the exhaust that would get sucked up through the crank seal. Its probably a bigger job on that motor (probably have to split crankcase) and why most people will just live with it, would be my thougths. I am not an avid OMC guy so I am gonna bail out on this conversation. On many of of the Mercs I have worked on, leaking lower crank seals cause idling issues as well as the sludge. It is just part of my routine now-a-days to do crank seals on these old motors when I go through them. The ones I have worked on do not have the sludge coming from the exhaust.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

If what you are seeing is coming from the exhaust cavity, that is totally normal. All 2 strokes will shoot some unburnt fuel/oil mix out with the exhaust and spent cooling water, making the grey/milkshake mess that you see.

Now Im not saying that you may not ALSO have a bad crank seal, you very well may, but not just because you see water/fuel/oil mixture in the exhaust cavity.

nwcove

Admiral

anyone wanna buy 20 or so vintage motors......various makes and models.......all apparently have bad crank seals!! ;)

JasonAych

Petty Officer 1st Class

anyone wanna buy 20 or so vintage motors......various makes and models.......all apparently have bad crank seals!! ;)

:facepalm: OooooooK, Must be an OMC thing. :facepalm:

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Nah just a 2 stroke thing. No 2 stroke will completely burn off all of the fuel/oil mix. No matter how well she is tuned, no way, no how. Very normal to see it mixed with the spent cooling water and exhaust.

nwcove

Admiral

Nah just a 2 stroke thing. No 2 stroke will completely burn off all of the fuel/oil mix. No matter how well she is tuned, no way, no how. Very normal to see it mixed with the spent cooling water and exhaust.

......but what if you use that "special" oil......you know.....the stuff that you mix at 300:1 ( or something like that)! :rolleyes:

kfa4303

Banned

+1 ;) The grey froth in the leg is perfectly normal on these old 2-strokes. Don't be surprised when/if the water in your test tank turns pretty yuky too. Not to worry, it will clear up greatly once you're on the open water.