1960 Evinrude 18 fastwin needles ok?

Tom Maslar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
These are my high and low speed needles. I am not sure why my carb is not responding properly to adjustment and wanted to see if anyone notices a problem with the needles. The low speed has a face on the tip instead of a fine point--i assume from bottoming out.

Attachments

• IMG_20130902_144702.jpg
    IMG_20130902_144702.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 0

nwcove

Admiral
Re: 1960 Evinrude 18 fastwin needles ok?

hard to see the tip of the ls needle in the pic......a close up would be much better. whats it acting like?

Tom Maslar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yes the phone camera is not so good. I can tell you that the taper is very good and the flat face is the size of a pin head on the low speed needle. The motor would knock when leaning out the low speed needle to a point that would smooth out the idle...back of the setting a little and she would be fine but moments later cough and pop. The carb also would flood after i rebuilt it. There is no trash in the needle and seat area. I set the float to level. I showed it to a friend who is 87 and works on heavy equipment. He said the jets look good and that i should maybe set the float a little lower than level. I had a fitment problem with the gasket that goes over the internal high speed nozzle. It was simply to thick My friend said to sand it down to where i get a good compression of the gasket on installation and no further. The kit body boss gaskets are twice as thick as the original and not fittable without sanding.

nwcove

Admiral

have never came across a boss gasket that was to thick? i have seen a few that were to thin and needed a fiber washer under them to seal up properly. ( aftermarket kits). i do set my floats a bit low ( towards the bowl) to ensure the needle seats well. your issue kinda sounds likes the carb is getting air from somewhere it shouldnt? maybe the welch plug not sealing? maybe the boss gasket should not have been sanded? .....there should be about 1/8" gap between the bowl and carb body, caused by the boss gasket, that needs to be compressed with the bowl screws. jmo

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The needles look fine as near as I can tell. You say it "knocks" when you screw in the slow speed needle. That is normal, and shows that the needle is doing what it is supposed to do. When too lean, it will "sneeze" or knock, whatever you want to call it. back it off till it quits doing that.

I don't understand why you are having gasket thickness problems. That shouldn't be happening. The center boss gasket is supposed to contact slightly before the bowl gasket.

Tom Maslar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i will try and post pics of the gasket issue i am having. the gasket in the kit is twice as thick as the original which i will also take a pic of. F-R Thanks for the reply...my problem is I could not find a happy place in between a knock and a cough---maybe the bar down the street;)

nwcove

Admiral

its very normal for a new boss gasket to appear twice as thick as an original gasket that spent decades in a carb. jmo

Tom Maslar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hey nwcove , thanks for reply... did not sand *gasket just yet! my table gap on the two halves of carb is not closeable because it is 3/8 of an inch and not compressible to closure without damaging force-- imo. the screws are only 1/2 inch or so long and I presented this finding to my friend who had never heard of such a thing and readily agreed with my observation. So it was a peer reviewed study..lol

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Something screwy here. That gasket is nowhere near that thick. You are trying to put something else in there, I don't know what.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Maybe he is trying to use the larger o ring in the kits? Not sure what else you could mistake for the boss gasket. As stated, there should be some compression needed, but no where near almost 1/2". You have something else going on here which we cannot guess at without seeing it. There is no need to sand the boss gasket.

When the carb is inverted, don't set it to level, have the unhinged end just slightly higher than the hinged end, to ensure the needle seats as mentioned above.

Tom Maslar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok when i post the pics we will get to the bottom of this for sure. thanks for all the help.

Tom Maslar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok, I went to the dealer today and the mechanic and the parts counter staff sorted out the problem. I DID NOTHING WRONG! the parts are IN FACT not usable and the company is being contacted as a result. The boss gasket was looked up by itself and was even larger than the two in the kit--so there you go! They found a workable substitute that looked something like the one that was sitting in my carb for decades. I really hope this solves my problem because I enjoy having a full head of hair at 46.