2000 225 hp Johnson, sneezing and stalling when cold

1moreminute

Recruit
Hello all, new to this forum but not to forums in general.

Anyways, I have a 2000 Johnson 225 Ocean Pro that will sneeze and stall when shes cold, usually after about 5 mins of her running shes ok. What could be causing this? Just bought this boat and this is only my third time out. Other than that she runs great.

Thank you and Happy Labor Day!

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: 2000 225 hp Johnson, sneezing and stalling when cold

When the engine is cold and you start, do the rpms hold at about 1100 rpms, until engine is warm then drop back to about 700 rpms?

Alarm system work?

1moreminute

Recruit

When the engine is cold and you start, do the rpms hold at about 1100 rpms, until engine is warm then drop back to about 700 rpms?

Alarm system work?

Yes sir, but when it "sneezes" (best way for me to describe it) it than just dies. Seems to just do it when cold, the longer she sits the more she does it. Wondering if I should have all the carbs rebuilt?

For example, we went out this past Saturday, she was a pain to keep started, once running for about 5 mins she was good, than we also went out the following day Sunday, started a little easier with maybe 2 times she sneezed and stalled, now this coming weekend when we go out she will be a pain to keep started. Hope my description helps! Thank you for taking the time to help me.

And yes alarms all work.

1moreminute

Recruit

Anyone?

Like mentioned when COLD, and shes able to hold idle at 1100RPMs until she sneezed and very quickly stalls. This past Saturday it was a real pain to start took awhile to get her to hold idle. And when she did fire up it was like a James Bond boat and smoked the canal out, once she stayed running after many of tries she did clear up smoke wise. Ran her out the canal which is a 30 min idle ride and 10-15 mins 4200-4600 rpms to local sandbar, she ran great, when we were leaving (5 hours after arriving) she fired right up again, so like I mentioned its just hard as crap to stay running when shes cold (never ran for the day or days) but once warmed up she does fire easily.

Thanks all

daselbee

Commander

I suggest you use the search functions. There are threads ALL OVER THIS BOARD re this subject. If you don't find the answer, you haven't read enough. :facepalm::mad:

1moreminute

Recruit

Listen, I love answers like yours, not really. Anyways, message boards are made for this type of thing, asking questions, no one put a gun to your head to open my thread up. For your information, I did a lot of reading and usually it ends up just dying out and not getting the correct answer at all resulting in mis-information etc. Or their situation is different from mine, plus its easier to access the information if its MY thread pertaining to MY problem. I may have a certain way of explaining/ asking things and some have other ways.

If you get angry over a question (mad symbol) I suggest you take a break from the forums or you may have nothing better to do than to post nonsense that's not going to help anyone. Answers like yours does not help a thing. Maybe something new was found since 2010 or whenever the 1st or last post was, or maybe a newer/ better part came out since than and so on, So thanks for nothing. Have a wonderful evening, I know I will! P.S. Try being a little more helpful or not reply to a topic like that, because to a person like me, it makes you look like an A**hole. Maybe you are in person and maybe you aren't, I could care less and maybe you could also.... It's what makes the world spin!!

1moreminute

Recruit

4. DO NOT POST TO OLD THREADS. If you have a question, start a new thread of your own. This will put your question at the top of YOUR new thread, not way down the list of someone else's. Please do not post to old (> 90 days) threads denoted by a red bar message.

daselbee

Commander

Or maybe you are just lazy. Too lazy to self help. Which is exactly the impression I get of you. Geez, this subject has at least 3 new open threads running right now....not old stuff. all you gotta do is read withing the past three pages....sh!! You are just lazy and want someone to spoon feed you the answer.

chevy101

Recruit
ok, im no boat mechanic but here is my 2 cents....coughing/ sneezing is lean, not good for a 2 stroke....it could be a number of things but i think its lean fuel when cold your engine burns more fuel and when warm it burns less thus the problem only happens when cold, my opinion/guess would be the vro/fuel pump but heres what i would try when its doing it have someone pump the primer bulb and see if it helps if it helps its most likely the pump causing the problem....

71Windsor

Petty Officer 1st Class
I had a similar problem with my 150 though it didn't stall out it would sneeze. I removed my carbs and sprayed cleaner through every passage then took a can of air and blew them out ensure any debris was gone. and that solved my problem. now my buddy has a 200 same issue and we ended up cleaning his carbs and checking and adjusting the float heights as well and same result solved his problem as well. if you tackle this job mark and label your carbs so they go back in the same place they came from. and carefully go through every orifice you see. shop.evinrude.com has nice break downs of fhe carb that will assist in knowing where all the passages are to clean. also I take some heavy 80lb test fishing line or heavier and run that through each port as well to push any crap out before I spray them down. hope this helps you out.