Replace only the bent shaft on '89 Johnson 120 hp or entire lower unit?

Bigoledude

Cadet
The motor is a 1989 Johnson 120 HP. A friend of mine hit an exposed piece of oilfield pipe and the propeller shaft is obviously bent. He said it was making a grinding noise as he ran back to the launch. I can buy the boat, a 17 ft. Mako, galvanized trailer and this motor very cheap. With insanely low hours. There is no apparent damage to the housing.

I am, I guess, above average in mechanical ability but, have absolutely no experience working on outboards. Is it likely that only the shaft needs replacing? If I have to rebuild the lower unit, is it very difficult/expensive? I wouldn't mind buying a couple of specialty tools if need be.

There are a couple of boat boneyard type places in the New Orleans metro area. The problem I have with buying from them is, with the age of the motor, how likely is it that I am gonna find an old lower unit that I can trust? Is there anything I can look for on a boneyard lower unit that would indicate excessive wear or damage?

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Replace only the bent shaft on '89 Johnson 120 hp or entire lower unit?

Tear down and inspection is the only way to figure out what you need. If it were mine, I'd scan the local classifieds for a complete lower unit at a reasonable price. I've seen complete freshwater motors with blown powerheads sell as low as $300 in my area.