1960 18HP Evinrude Fastwin Carb rebuild and primer problems

Tom Maslar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
:facepalm:I bought a rebuild kit for the carb because I could not get the carb idle low enough to be a good idle for shifting. The motor would knock and cut out depending on which way the screws where turned. I have had it dialed in perfectly, so I am familiar with tuning it. The carb kit did not come with a thin enough float chamber to carburetor body boss gasket. Thats the round gasket that goes on the high speed nozzle. The two choices in the carb kit were twice as thick as the original. There was also a black chunky o-ring in the kit with the same diameter hole as the other two. Since the two obvious choices did not fit I put on the black o-ring. Put carb together and will hold a prime--somewhat. I can get the bulb firmer by squeezing and I can actually see fuel running out the mouth of the carb when I squeeze on the primer bulb to make it even firmer. It ran but I have same problem as before. I cant get a low idle and she loads up and pops and or knocks as I hoplessly try to get it dialed in. I took the carb off again and will try and investigate the high speed nozzle gasket but I dont see that solving my problem? On a side note I see two lead shot and a third hole with no shot that at one point fuel came out of when I squeezed the bulb. The schematic shows only one lead shot?? HEEEEEELLLLPPPP MEEEEE!:facepalm:

Last edited:

Tom Maslar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1960 18HP Evinrude Fastwin Carb rebuild and primer problems

checked online and it shows two lead shot required so I am good on the lead shot.

Tom Maslar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok, I am flooding but I replaced the needle and seat, so I guess the needle was damaged when I set the float level. The needle looked like metal so I thought nothing of pushing down on the float mounted to adjust it. On further inspecction, it is in fact silver metallic in color on the tip but actually made out of rubber. I am going to replace the needle and order the exact gasket that goes over the high speed nozzle. I assume I will eliminate the flooding issue and the correct gasket should aleviate some other problem related to my symptoms. You all have a good day!

Tom Maslar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My glass is half full