98 Johnson 225 Venom

Bendeguz

Cadet
Hey all

I had my boat out yesterday and noticed that the motor was smoking a bit more than usual. I know on cold start ups it is normal to see smoke until it warms up but this happened when i was coming back to the launch at low rpms and speed.

I read about the vro units on these motors and some folks had to rebuild the pump in order to get rid of the excessive smoke. Is there a way to adjust the injection percentage on these units or anywhere else on the motor to adjust the mixture?

At high RPMs the motor runs fine, I also noticed that the primer bulb is never really firm, so maybe i have a leak somewhere and this is why the oil injection is compensating with injecting more oil than normal? Like I said it only smokes at low RPMs.

The motor has about 30 hours on it since it was re-built. I had another problem which was the shift assist switch that i ordered and replaced cus the old one was sticky.
Any feed back and ideas would be great, thanks

Lester

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: 98 Johnson 225 Venom

Could be a lot of things. Check all fuel lines from pump to tank, any air leaks causes pump to pump more oil.

Bendeguz

Cadet

Hey Clanton thanks for the reply, All the fuel lines are new inside the engine what i might suspect is the primer bulb or the connection to the primer bulb. I will replace the bulb and at least i can trace it back to the tank.

What else could cause the excess oil are there any other factors that would do this?

Thanks again
Lester

clanton

Rear Admiral

Fuel restriction, but this engine has an alarm for that. Alarm system work?