Solenoid adjustment 71 evinrude 50hp

Greenkarson

Cadet
I have a 1971 evinrude 50hp electric shift. Just got it a few days ago. Got it running with muffs in the garage. Motor starts and runs beautifully. Shifts from neutral to forward no problem. And back to neutral no problem. But nothing in reverse. I've done all the standard test. There is power to both wires going to solenoids when in reverse. Flushed out lower end couple times replaced oil with the C type. Still the same. Removed solenoids and grounded them using a pair of booster cables they both seam to work fine when I put power to them. I put it all back together still the same no reverse. The one thing I did notice is that the solenoid plungers are sitting a little over 1/16" down into the solenoid. But these are the factory solenoids. So I figured that was the way they were supposed to be.

Does anyone think that the solenoids actually may have went out of adjustment on there own? Or any other ideas what my problem me be?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Solenoid adjustment 71 evinrude 50hp

The solenoid adjustment must be made with the solenoid in the lower unit. The plunger must not protrude above the solenoid and must not be more than 1/64" below the top of the solenoid when installed.

Quite unlikely that they would go out of adjustment on their own UNLESS the retaining nut was loose for some reason.

A voltage test to the shift wires must be made with the wires fully connected (load test), and the voltage must absolutely be a full 12 volts. If the voltage is less, suspect a faulty switch.

Have you tried applying voltage to the shift wires via jumper cables/wires directly from the battery?

Greenkarson

Cadet

I tested the green and blue wires with the key on before I disassembled the lower end and after i reassembled. Full 12v on one wire in neutral and full 12v on both wires in reverse.

And with the motor running I jumped power with a booster cable straight from the positive on the battery to both wires at the knife connections with no results.

There is no grinding or any sounds indicating its a gear problem. There was no metal shards at all in the oil. Indicating gear issues. The oil pumps fine to put it in neutral. The solenoids seem to work. I'm running out of ideas

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Full voltage, using type C lube, no metal filings... strange that it's not shifting into reverse.

With the shift wires "disconnected", what is the ohm reading of the individual shift solenoids? The OMC manual calls for 5 to 6 ohms.

If everything, including the resistance readings are correct, I'd be looking for the 1/64" plunger setting in the solenoids.

The wave washer is on top of the upper solenoid isn't it?

Greenkarson

Cadet

I'm going to remove the lower end again this afternoon. I never actually tested the ohms on the solenoids. I just clamped them in booster cables and put power to the wire lead. They were both very powerful magnets. So I'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong with the electrical part of them. But I will test the ohms this time. To be double sure

The wave washer is on top. And the spacer in between.

When testing the ohms. Is that from the disconnected knife connection to the body of solenoid? Or do I have to remove wire closer to solenoid And test there?

cgibbo308

Petty Officer 3rd Class

silly question.
have you disconnected it all and tried to shift manually?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

When testing the ohms. Is that from the disconnected knife connection to the body of solenoid? Or do I have to remove wire closer to solenoid And test there?

Best to check the ohm reading from the connection near the powerhead where the normal hookup is so that you're also testing the shift cable itself. However, after removing the lower unit, check the readings directly at the solenoids.

Greenkarson

Cadet

Removed lower end have it sitting on the bench. Tested both solenoids with full length wires. Both tested 5.9ohms. So that's not the problem. The lower plunger was sitting about a 1/16" low so I adjusted it up. To just a hair under the surface.

Never had time to reinstall the lower end. The suspense is killing me. Haha. But I will have to wait until tomorrow night.

Do you really think that little adjustment could really make a difference?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Removed lower end have it sitting on the bench. Tested both solenoids with full length wires. Both tested 5.9ohms. So that's not the problem. The lower plunger was sitting about a 1/16" low so I adjusted it up. To just a hair under the surface.

Never had time to reinstall the lower end. The suspense is killing me. Haha. But I will have to wait until tomorrow night.

Do you really think that little adjustment could really make a difference?

Yes, that measurement is critical. The OMC manual states in no uncertain terms that the plunger must be no more than 1/64" below the top of the solenoid top surface. The 1/16" measurement that you speak of... that was with the solenoid installed in the lower unit as required?

You do know that you can bench test the unit by using a heavy duty drill to crank it and jumper wires (voltage) to engage the solenoids.

Last edited:

Greenkarson

Cadet

Hopefully that adjustment will do the trick. Ya the solenoids were in the lower unit when I adjusted them.

Do you have to have the drive shaft spinning fast to work with a drill? I may give it a try

Greenkarson

Cadet

I forgot to mention. Thanks for your time Joe. From searching all the electric shift threads on this forum. It appears that you are the go to guy on the topic. Thanks again

I will update tomorrow evening. With what ever results I get.

Last edited:

Greenkarson

Cadet

Found my problem! The little leaver with the hole in it that the lower solenoid pushes on is snapped off! It was still held in place by the upper solenoid valve stem going through it. Any hope of replacing it? Or do I hang my head and move on?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Found my problem! The little leaver with the hole in it that the lower solenoid pushes on is snapped off! It was still held in place by the upper solenoid valve stem going through it. Any hope of replacing it? Or do I hang my head and move on?

Always something weird isn't it... but at least you found the problem. Hopefully you can find a replacement in one of the junk areas of the dealerships or the non dealership repair shops.

Greenkarson

Cadet

Looks like a can still buy the little lever at marinengine.com. How hard is it to pull out the prop shaft and all the inner workings of the lower end. Any tips to removing shaft?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

How hard is it to pull out the prop shaft and all the inner workings of the lower end. Any tips to removing shaft?

Hellava job... I wouldn't get involved with that unless it was absolutely necessary.

Greenkarson

Cadet

Joe. I've decided to give it a try. I've pulled the bearing housing assemble out. Now I'm at the two big snap rings. Have to buy or make a pair of pliers long enough to reach in there. I was wondering is it all smooth sailing after they are removed? And do you have any tips or tricks on any part of the process? Thanks
Karson

Last edited:

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The part you mention that is broke... I believe your description pegs it as one of the levers which is part of the oil pump. If so, that's the very last thing that comes out of the lower unit.

There's a nut on the bottom of the driveshaft that must be removed... and must be torqued to specs when installed.

Greenkarson

Cadet

Do I have to remove that nut from inside the lower unit? Or can the drive shaft just be pulled up and out of the way?