my 1970 60 hp triumph has no spark

ratso

Recruit
I pulled the plugs and check for spark there was none checked the fuse ok how do you check the coil or could it be the amplifier

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: my 1970 60 hp triumph has no spark

Don't jump to conclusions. Do a couple of simple tests. Unbolt the coil from the motor and rotate the whole coil and spark wire to unscrew the spark wire from the distributor. Then remount the coil and rig up a spark gap off the end of the spark wire. Crank the motor with the starter. Got a spark?? If you do, everything is ok up to that point and you must be losing it in the distributor. No spark? First make sure you are getting 12V input to the amplifier while cranking (use a multimeter, purple wire at the terminal board). If you are, then check the triggering circuit by disconnecting the black/white stripe wire going between the amplifier and breaker plate. With key on, lightly brush the black/white wire from the amplifier across a grounded object. You should see a flurry of sparks from the coil. If you do, the problem is with the breaker points. DO NOT make self-invented tests. You can blow an otherwise perfectly good part.

Last edited: