First evinrude carb rebuild, and kit is missing a part

relics hunter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1980 35hp carb rebuild, was going smoothly until I came to reassembly. The carb was frighteningly dirty, and I thought nothing of the plastic needle valve retainer, crumbling during breakdown. Come to find there is no needle valve retainer in the kit. There were four choices with and without a float and Sierra or Mallory brand. Well I bought the Mallory with the float. The kit doesn't give a parts list, so I bring up the Iboat pages and start staring at the little pictures, straining to see if I see the part. Well all three of the other kits show a needle valve retainer in the picture. The Mallory with float picture I don't see the part. :grumpy: Really! It doesn't come with it? :confused:I imagine this won't go well when I call about a missing part, since there is no parts list and I don't see it pictured. The old one was just sticky plastic pieces around the needle valve. I hate to improvise to much, but I am unlikely to buy a whole other kit just to get the part I should have had. Any thoughts on except able replacements. It works as a bushing during adjustments with the low speed knob. The needle threads in about 1/2 inch before the needle valve bearing. It doesn't seem like it will leak gas. Could I use cork or some rubber to fill the area?
Thanks

dkonrai

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: First evinrude carb rebuild, and kit is missing a part

you really need that needle bearing. with out it, the motor will run rich, and it wont low idle. motor should have a nice slow idle when you install the piece. i went to the local marine shop, he had one in stock. paid 8 bucks, but they did have it. as for the missing piece, none of the new carb kits have it (even tho it shows in the pic)
dino

bonzoscott

I believe the retainer is usually sold separately. At least it is from BRP (Shop2 Evinrude) Part # 0315232 $1.70 + shipping. It doesn't have threads cut in it so you may want to work the needle through a couple dozen times or your knob will strip. It will be too tight in the retainer. I ran my 15 hp for years with out one because the needle threaded a bit tight in the carb. The retainer is merely to keep the needle from vibrating out of adjustment.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I agree the retainer is there to keep the needle from spinning unintentionally. It does not seal anything. The "bearing" does the sealing. I also agree that a new one may be too tight, but it is not supposed to be that tight. Probably a matter of manufacturing tolerances. The needle SHOULD be able to form it's own threads as you force it in. Use something other than the knob to screw it in the first time.

I see you are in FL. You should be able to pick up a retainer from an Evinrude dealer. It's not like we are in the middle of the desert or something

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

I've used a piece of teflon plumbing tape as packing.
Worked fine.

Will Bark

Lieutenant

I used a small o-ring in mine, works fine.

bonzoscott

I believe the retainer is usually sold separately. At least it is from BRP (Shop2 Evinrude) Part # 0315232 $1.70 + shipping. It doesn't have threads cut in it so you may want to work the needle through a couple dozen times or your knob will strip. It will be too tight in the retainer. I ran my 15 hp for years with out one because the needle threaded a bit tight in the carb. The retainer is merely to keep the needle from vibrating out of adjustment.

AND if you end up having to cut your threads as said, do it while in the carb and work the needle in as straight as possible. If you try to work the retainer on the needle without something firmly holding the retainer, you could get 'er all mis-aligned and destroy it.