1977 140 evinrude cooling system

guybonin

Cadet
I have a 140. I was running it on ear muffs. Where should the cooling water exit from. I only have it exiting the exhaust. Thanks

MaPaHa

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1977 140 evinrude cooling system

Water leaves each head and goes through a thermostat for each head that you can see from the back of the motor. They are connected to the heads with a 90 degree rubber hose on each side. From there it goes to an outlet up high that water comes out of (they that looks like two square ports) along with passing through the motor to the lower section. In the water there's enough back pressure to see it form the ports. I normally see mine putting out some water spitting from the upper ports on the muffs. If you have any kind of thermometer you can test the temp with, I would check it on a aluminum surface where the short hoses are.

guybonin

Cadet

So the the only visible places that the water exits is the exhaust prop. And the small screen holes above the suction holes. There's no pee holes on the upper mid section.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

What small screen holes??? :confused: The water in the V-4 exits the prop and the two holes located just below the cowling under the engine cover. While running on muffs you only get a small exit of water....... because the muffs can not build the volume and pressure enough to get the water to exit everywhere ;)

IF you had a large tank or barrel you could get enough pressure with the lower unit submerged. The muffs will work fine for the "back yard" work needed.

The keys to v-4 optimum cooling - Good impellar, good thermostats, good water deflectors and a clean water passage in the heads.

guybonin

Cadet

Thanks that's what I need to know.
The small holes are above the fin on the gear case. There are three or four holes. I will attach a photo when I figure out how to.

phillnjack2

Ensign

yes it will come out of those holes as well as the prop.
these engines DID NOT have a tell tale, later engines do have them and you can fit a tell tale if you get a later bubble back exhaust with a fitting already on it.
you could simply take off the exhaust bubble cover and drill one yourself, but they go so cheap on fleabay you might as well get proper fitting.

Now if you put the engine in a water butt with water up over the doel fin (that black plastic fin thing) you'l then see water will come out of the two holes under the cowling about 6 inch from cowling when looking from behind the motor.

Have you made sure the alarms work for over heating ?

if you've only just got the motor then youl probably need to put in new thermostats, its such a pig of a job that some would rather sell the engine than replace them ha ha .

get a cheap infra red thermometer gun from motor shop etc and see what each cylinder head is reaching at the tops.
no point in measuring down the bottom as if one side is getting cooled it will be cooler at the bottom anyway.

to make sure of no blockages to each bank just undo the hose at the bottom of the heads one at a time and watch, water should pour out of those like a fast tap.

phill

guybonin

Cadet

Yes I did just get it. And started it for the first time. It's been laying on the ground under a shed for years. I am going to start doing maint. And repairs on it. Now that I know if runs. Started up first couple times let it run and idle. For a few min. Sounded real good.