15 hp johnson will not idle

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have a 15 hp Johnson, that the gas sat for a few months. I changed the gas and put seafoam in it and the mtr will only run with the choke half way in now???? any help!!

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 15 hp johnson will not idle

Pull the carb and clean it checking all the jets. Install a new carb kit.

jspano

how hard is it to pull the carb? any tips or tricks

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

What engine do you have, model number?

jspano

believe it to be 1989 J15RCEC

jspano

was hoping that seafoam would clean it up...

dkonrai

i think thats a plastic carb. small passages, so its easy for them to get clogged. gotta pull the carb, and pull starter. get a carb kit here, with the float. might as well rebuild the fuel pump too. and replace all those rubber fuel lines.
jmho
dino

jspano

thanks guy's! I didn't have a carb kit, so I took the carb off and found a small bit of debris in 1 of the cambers after taking the top off. bowl was real clean. I try to run it empty of fuel after use.

Jim Hawkins

Chief Petty Officer

thanks guy's! I didn't have a carb kit, so I took the carb off and found a small bit of debris in 1 of the cambers after taking the top off. bowl was real clean. I try to run it empty of fuel after use.

Good job. You no doubt found the problem. If there was debris inside your carb, it is dirty and most likely clogged. Skip the carb kit just yet and completely disassemble it (well, not completely, but all the places where fuel goes through) but count how many turns out the needle valve is before you unscrew it. Compare your carb to a diagram online. Johnson Carburetor Parts for 1989 15hp J15RCEC Outboard Motor Make sure things like #21 the needle valve retainer are there. Wash it in good hot water with a little dish soap added, rinse and blow out every orifice with compressed air. Good luck.

Last edited: