1961 Johnson 18HP Seahorse FD-15 Carb Part Needed

mwp71467

Cadet
Well, I'm starting to restore a 1961 Johnson Seahorse. It's an 18HP model FD-15. I am in the process of rebuilding the carb and I need a part to complete it. It is part number 0306141 and it is a type of sleeve nut that the low speed adjusting needle goes through and into the seat in the carb. If anyone has one or knows where I can find it, please let me know. I can use a different type of part to get it working but I'm trying to keep this original otherwise I would have to change quite a few thing to make it work. Thanks in advance

mwp71467

Cadet
Re: 1961 Johnson 18HP Seahorse FD-15 Carb Part Needed

Thank you for the links. I will find out if they have the part I need. It's apparently obsolete so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

kfa4303

Banned

Not to worry, the same nut from virtually any 18-20hp Johnson/Evinrude of that era will work. You should be able to find them on ebay all day. Of course, it will probably cost more to ship it than to buy it, but what can you do :/ You can also place a WTB add on aomci.org.

Tom Maslar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

they cost eleven dollars a piece--use two packing washers and one plastic washer with each needle. the cork packing washers go in first , followed by the nylon washer. tighten the gland packing nut just snug enough to prevent the needle from backing out during use. your preliminary settting for the carb are 3/4 turn out from gently seated on both high and low needles. I am working on the same motor and learning a lot. kfa has been a great help as he has a similar motor. the nuts are available but they take a while to get from the dealer.

Tom Maslar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

on a side note: that packing gland nut has a rubber washer that goes over it to prevent a leak form ruining your day at sea. the high speed needle does not have one. you should order that wkile your at it. your fuel mix is 24 to1 or eleven ounces to two gallond. i use xd50 from the dealer because it keeps smoke to a minimum. i found on mine that the spark plug wires interfered with obtaining full wide open throttle because one was routed on top of the other. I was losing 3/8 inch of throttle range of motion because of this. hope this helps on ypour journey. Tom

mwp71467

Cadet

Thank you both for the info. I didn't know how the packing washers stacked so thanks. Didn't know about the rubber washer either or the different applications I can use. Thanks again.Will keep you updated as I progress.

kfa4303

Banned

Here's a great carb rebuild link that can show you how to use the packings. It's for a slightly different model, but all of the basic steps are the same. That's half the fun of these old OMC motors, once you can fix one, you can pretty much fix them all.

5.5 HP Evinrude Johnson 1954-1954 Carburetor Tune-Up Procedure

mwp71467

Cadet

Great links and you're right kfa. It is actually a fun project. Really appreciate all the help.

handifly

Seaman

Someone up near me is selling an 18hp parts motor cheap. Just missing a side cowl. If you get stuck for parts I will look for the info

mwp71467

Cadet

Hey handifly, sorry for the late reply. Thanks for letting me know about the parts motor. If you can find out what the price is please let me know or if he wants to sell individual parts as well. Thanks a lot. Definitely appreciate the help.

kfa4303

Banned

Check ebay for carbs as well.