1974 70hp evinrude steering

bfields83

Cadet
Steers great to the left but has alot of tension when u turn to the right. Anything I can do about this? Adjustments I'm sure but is there a certain setting on the cables that I should be at?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1974 70hp evinrude steering

Sounds like you need a trim tab adjustment.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

If you are at the end of the trim tab adjustment and it still is hard, you will have to live with it as normal. High mounting, or power trimmed out, will make it worse. The torque produced by rotating parts is what is causing it. Actually, a 70 hp usually isn't that objectionable. The higher the horsepower, the worse it gets.

You also might consider changing to non-feedback steering. That won't make it easier to turn, but it will lock at wherever it is when you stop turning the wheel so you won't have to develop Pop-eye arms to hold it there.

bfields83

Cadet

Ok thank you. Where is the trim tab adjustment located. I noticed I had some grease fittings on the front of the motor(which I pumped the grease to) and that helped a bit. Also this motor doesn't have a power trim u have to manually move it.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The trim tab is on the back of the motor under the anti-ventilation plate just after the prop. Loosen the bolt that holds it and you can move it from side to side.

bfields83

Cadet

Ok I seen exactly what your talking about. I'm gonna give that a try today and hope for the best! Thanks alot for the guys.