Choke problems, Evinrude 70hp -89

viktor_89

Cadet
I have some problems with my choke. When the Engine have been stopped and cooled for around 20-30 min, it is very hard to start up again. I noticed that the choke unit does not activate when this problem occur. I can feel that the choke unit activates when the Engine is completely Cold but not when "half-warm". When I use the manual choke activator (the red arm), the Engine is starting much easier.

Is it right that the choke should not work when the Engine is "half-warm"? Obviously my Engine wants to be choked in those cases..

Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks in advice!

phillnjack2

Ensign
Re: Choke problems, Evinrude 70hp -89

It should work when you press the key in at any time.
it is not heat related at all.

hope this helps

phill

viktor_89

Cadet

Hmm ok strange.. I can feel a click on the choke unit when i press the key and the engine os cold, but i can not feel that click when the engine is hot..

Must be an electrical issue somewhere?

Thanks for the answer anyway :)

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Check voltage to the solenoid when warm, if there is voltage present, you most likely have a bad solenoid.
Sometimes when an electrical component gets warm it will quit working and then work fine when it cools down.

viktor_89

Cadet

I checked the voltage. Everytime I pressed the key i got 12V.. The solenoid seemed to work ok (I heard a click) both when the enegine was cold and just after I turned off the engine, but when I let the engine cool for approximately 20 min the the solenoid didnt click anymore (even though there was 12V..

Must be the solenoid that is bad, right?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

I would think if you had voltage at the solenoid and it did not activate, you need a new solenoid. Do you have an external ground wire on the solenoid, make sure the connection to ground is clean and tight.