Help!! 1995 Johnson 150 hp bogging on take off

stratosguyTN

Cadet
I recently replaced my fuel pump due to it malfunctioning. All is working well, except...... Once primed and unloaded from the trailer, the motor comes out of the hole perfectly. If I fish for let's say, 30 minutes, then go to take off, it bogs and will die if I mash to full throttle. I have to push the choke in for it to finally come out of the hole while Im at half throttle. Once on plane, it holds WOT at 5500rpm perfectly with no power loss. I have replaced the primer ball, fuel pump, spark plugs, and vapor separator gasket. I'm thinking its a loss of fuel and maybe it's getting air in the system somehow. When priming it, the primer ball gets very firm. Any suggestions? Any and all recommendations are appreciated.

MaPaHa

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Help!! 1995 Johnson 150 hp bogging on take off

I used to use a pair of plastic 13 gallon tanks on a pontoon boat and I fought the fittings at the tank with air leaks into the supply line. I could get them sealed up at times but the tanks just wouldn't stay sealed. The bulb went flat when setting for short periods of time.

You might pull the tank pick-up valve and see whats there and how its sealed.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help!! 1995 Johnson 150 hp bogging on take off

You could have what OMC used to call "heat soak". When you first start it up after sitting, let it idle for a few minutes to wet down the carbs and then try it.

motoman

Seaman
When you come out of the hole where is your motor trimmed ? It should be fully trimmed down . Being Stratos guy I assume it is a Bass Boat . I had same issue and I changed the fuel line ,put the correct plugs (gapped correctly) and cleaned carbs . Also when fishing I make sure the motor is trimmed level and I have not had a issue since . Give it a try and see if it helps .

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
This thread is 4 years old and one hijack has been moved to a new thread.

Let this one sleep!