Need help locating a part, charge coil for 78 evinrude 140 (140843C)

Spanish#007

Cadet
So my boat was running like poop last time I took it out....the only thing I did was pull the plugs and sand them down with some 180 grit and put them back in at 18 lbs of torque...anyhow, now my boat either isn't getting gas or spark, I checked the spark of the plugs at 1/2 and didn't get any to fire, changed it to 3/8 and cyl 2 and 4 were good, 1 and 3 wouldn't fire until it was about 5/16" (1st thought was power pack on that side). I then went on to test the ignition coils which came back at the correct #'s per my manual, I tested the primary and secondary resistance on them.

a fuel kit pump was done in the past two yrs, also I tried pumping the primer bulb while running to see if it would help and it didn't' seem to make a difference so on to testing the ignition system.

When I did the Charge Coil resistance test I came back with 302, my book says it should be between 485-600...It isn't clear whether there is just 1 charge coil or two...the reason I'm wondering is because my boat basically has two identical systems, with 4 coils, 2 power pks, ect... The charge coil tested at 302 on both sides, if there is only one I understand, and I might think it was bad...if there is two and they are reading the exact same I would think they are good. Anyhow I can't seem to find a "charge coil" anywhere? I found ignition coils but not charge coils.

Per my manual there are ignition coils, charge coils, power packs, and sensor coils....odd as my old boat just had one CDI that included everything and one ignition coil....much easier to diagnose, but also more expensive to replace. Moving on....

I dont' have a DVA adapter, looking at buying one today....my book calls for a CD voltmeter, which seems to be the same thing with a different name. Anyhow, goes without saying I couldn't test the power pack output, charge coil output, or sensor coil output because I didn't have the tool :mad: !!!

So the charge coil resistance test seemed to be off per above statement (tested 302 Clymer states 485-600). The test I was able to perform with my regular multimeter: Power pack Isolation Diode Test, PASSED. Ignition Coil Resistance Test, PASS. & Sensor Coil Resistance Test, PASSED. So they all passed, now it seems I need to get a DVA adapater so that I can do proper output test

Does anyone know where to get a cheap DVA adapter or CD Voltmeter?

Does anyone know where to get a charge coil for a 1978 Evinrude 140 hp model 140843C?

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thx a million!!

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need help locating a part, charge coil for 78 evinrude 140 (140843C)

If you are not working from a factory service manual, you can get some good ignition troubleshooting information on your engine from this website: cdielectronics.com. Bombardier sells a replacement stator for your engine: 583672. Personally, I would not work from a Clymer manual.

Spanish#007

Cadet

I've found the 470 volt 22 uF capacitor I needed @ Kansas City Electronics Company for $3.27, about the same as the internet, but I don't have time to get it before they close so I'm having them mail it and they're charging $2.50 for the envelope + postage...not a great deal but with two it was about $12.00, more than I thought it would be. Then again it was a bit hard to find. Anyway, I should be able to make the DVA adapter now since I have everything else I need. I'm going to test the power packs output and charger coil output. Still need help finding a charger coil....if anyone knows where I can find one let me know, model # and yr in title..I can't find it on the ignition diagram on any site to tell if I there is one or two under the flywheel. The Clymer shows an example and it looks like it had two coils, but it doesn't say what motor it is the manual covers several yrs and different horsepowers. The book isn't the best but I got it free so I'm going to use it for now...although investing in a good book would most likely pay for itself in the end. If compression is good and power pk and charge coil test good then I'll start checking fuel lines, but as I mentioned earlier it didn't help when I was priming it and it was running. I realize that there is really just a diaphragm and spring, not a pump and it works off the vacuum from the crankcase so maybe I need to read more bout that. The symtoms seem like it's not getting gas, it will only get to about 4200 RPMs, it was running good then all of a sudden jumping between 3800-4200 RPMs like it was wanting to die...I immediately thought gas, but now I'm leaning towards spark....thx for any replies

Spanish#007

Cadet

TURNS OUT I CAN'T GET JUST A CHARGE COIL, HAVE TO REPLACE THE STATOR OR TIMERBASE ON MY V4 CROSSFLOW!!! ERRGG:facepalm:

Spanish#007

Cadet
CORRECT READING FOR TESTING charge coil for 78 evinrude 140 (140843C)

CORRECT READING FOR TESTING charge coil for 78 evinrude 140 (140843C)

Can anyone confirm that my clymer manual has correct charge coil resistance readings. It shows it should read between 485-635 ohms....mine is reading 302 on both sides? Just want to confirm that is correct info before i spend $300.00 ON A NEW STATOR AND ASSEMBLY. I'm planning on testing power packs 1st, already tested ignition coils. Just looking for the correct resistance reading for the charge coil on a 1978 Evinrude 140 hp model 140843C. Thx!

so my boat was running like poop last time i took it out....the only thing i did was pull the plugs and sand them down with some 180 grit and put them back in at 18 lbs of torque...anyhow, now my boat either isn't getting gas or spark, i checked the spark of the plugs at 1/2 and didn't get any to fire, changed it to 3/8 and cyl 2 and 4 were good, 1 and 3 wouldn't fire until it was about 5/16" (1st thought was power pack on that side). i then went on to test the ignition coils which came back at the correct #'s per my manual, i tested the primary and secondary resistance on them.

A fuel kit pump was done in the past two yrs, also i tried pumping the primer bulb while running to see if it would help and it didn't' seem to make a difference so on to testing the ignition system.

when i did the charge coil resistance test i came back with 302, my book says it should be between 485-600...it isn't clear whether there is just 1 charge coil or two...the reason i'm wondering is because my boat basically has two identical systems, with 4 coils, 2 power pks, ect... The charge coil tested at 302 on both sides, if there is only one i understand, and i might think it was bad...if there is two and they are reading the exact same i would think they are good. Anyhow i can't seem to find a "charge coil" anywhere? I found ignition coils but not charge coils.

Per my manual there are ignition coils, charge coils, power packs, and sensor coils....odd as my old boat just had one cdi that included everything and one ignition coil....much easier to diagnose, but also more expensive to replace. Moving on....

I dont' have a dva adapter, looking at buying one today....my book calls for a cd voltmeter, which seems to be the same thing with a different name. Anyhow, goes without saying i couldn't test the power pack output, charge coil output, or sensor coil output because i didn't have the tool :mad: !!!

So the charge coil resistance test seemed to be off per above statement (tested 302 clymer states 485-600). The test i was able to perform with my regular multimeter: power pack isolation diode test, passed. Ignition coil resistance test, pass. & sensor coil resistance test, passed. so they all passed, now it seems i need to get a dva adapater so that i can do proper output test

does anyone know where to get a cheap dva adapter or cd voltmeter?

Does anyone know where to get a charge coil for a 1978 evinrude 140 hp model 140843c?

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

thx a million!!

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Can't find any specs on the charge coil, but if you go to the CDI website as suggested eariler, it does have specs to check the stator.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Damm, I sure love the BIG BLACK PRINT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spanish#007

Cadet

I saw that site, thx!! Pulled the plugs last night to do another compression test and blew head gasket, cylinder two was clean, and had some water int it:facepalm: Anyways, ordered 2 gaskets for $31.00 w/ shipping and they're del'g tomorrow. Actually got it from iboats too...now I know where to go when I need stuff fast! Changing it out tomorrow when it arrives!!

So what your saying is that the charge coils will be good if the stator output is? I know they are sold as one pc, but in my manual it has separate test for them and that's why I was wondering if the above mentioned range was correct.

I'm getting capacitors today to make my DVA to confirm the output of the stator and power packs and coils....resistance test went good except for the charge coil:grumpy: hopefully it's just bad manual info as the range is quite a bit and stators are expensive.

Last edited:

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The spark plug coils from OMC have been pretty bullet proof over the years. Not that they can't fail, but usually most everything else gets replaced before a plug coil goes bad. Usually the power pack is the likely suspect-statistically speaking. One good thing about the coils, is that if one plug is acting up, you can swap coils for testing purposes. You should be some good information once you are able to check the output cranking voltages on the stator and timer base.

clanton

Rear Admiral

Clymer manual B736, starting page 55 1978-1984 CD 2 ignition.

Charge coil specs. 400-500 ohms for electric start
500-650 ohms for non electric start

Charge coil output voltage. 230 volts or more at cranking RPMs, with spark plugs in engine, using peak reading meter,

Power pack output voltage. 180 volts or more at cranking RPMs, with spark plugs in engine, using peak reading meter.

Stator has 3 parts, battery charging coils.
2 charge coils for the powers packs.

Some stators are dipped in epoxy, if this epoxy is melted, stator is going bad or already bad. Epoxy will drip on top of power head.