1989 Evinrude tracker 40 horse pumping oil out exhaust

Ron Sanders

Recruit
Hi, I have a tracker Evinrude motor model#TE40ELCEC ,1989 I am getting a lot of oil in my water barrel while running my engine and trying to get it running right. The best I can remember it started this after tacking the vro off and plugging the lines. I have checked the water jacket and changed gasket that didn't look bad (didn't work). I then pulled head and replaced gasket, the upper cylinder looked like it had been washed almost shiny clean and the bottom cylinder looked a little carboned but just normal, nothing significant. The engine is running on one cylinder, I also rebuilt the carbs and checked comp. 145lbs. both cylinders. I have been told it is a crack in the water jacket that you can't see, with good comp. I don't understand how this could be. I have run out of options, is it possible taking the vro off has something to do with this? There is enough oil in the water that i stick my hand into the barrel, it coats my hand with heavy oil.
I am at my wits end, can someone help,please?

phillnjack2

Ensign
Re: 1989 Evinrude tracker 40 horse pumping oil out exhaust

well if its onlyu running on 1 cylinder then ofcourse it will have oil in the water/exhaust that is obviously un burnt oil/fuel.

taking the vro off cannot harm the engine in any way at all,thats impossible.
make sure your fuel to oil is 50-1 ratio, no more and no less.

have you tried swapping the coils over to see if the coil is breaking down under compression ?

have you checked the spark is jumping the full 7/16ths open air gap ?

if you think this only happened since removing the vro ? then why did you change the fuel pump in first place ?

have you alter the linkage on the carbs ? is the timing now right or wrong ?

is fuel getting to the cylinder you say is not running (test by running then looking to see if plug is wet with fuel ?

it sounds like spark is not right on 1 cylinder, and probably a coil gone bad or dead plug.
just because you see a spark don't mean its strong enough under compression.

is the carb adjusted correctly by the mixtures screw/s ?

if the plug on the dead cylinder is getting flooded this would lead to the exact symptoms of oil in barrel and only 1 cylinder firing.

take the dead carb off and re-check the float level !!!!!!!!!!!very easy for that to be wrong after re-build of carbs.

just a few thoughts

phill

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant

I agree. If the motor is only running on one cylinder that oil and fuel has to go somewhere and that somewhere is your barrel of water. So I suspect what you are seeing is normal.

You said that you pulled the head and noticed that the upper cylinder had been washed clean, evidence of water intrusion. Did the head gasket look like there might have been a leak? In any event, does the spark plug of the upper cylinder still give evidence of water entry, now that you have a new head gasket on it? If the cylinder is not firing it should be wet with oil unless there is water where it would be a lot cleaner. How does it look.

Have you done a spark test with an external spark tester on both cylinders?

Last edited:

Ron Sanders

Recruit

OK guys, I have found the problem: When I disconnected the vro, I (out of my own stupitity) I hooked one of the gas lines up to the breather vacum line that goes straight to inside of the block. Once I got the right line in the right place the engine cranked and run perfectly.
I just want to thank you all for the help, I still don't understand why the marine service did not find this problem since they took the carbs off and checked them but, I will be sure to tell them how stupid they look and how smart I look.
Thanks again for the help to everyone and Phillinjack2, you are very right, you caint fix stupid!!!