1999 175hp Evinrude

sec56

Seaman
I've been in the process of using up a good portion of the 83 gallons of fuel that's on board my boat to get better information as to how the boat preforms with a lighter load. The 53 gallon tank is getting close to being emptied. Will I have any issues trying to start the engine other than having to prime the engine if I allow it to run completely out of fuel since it's direct injection? I know with a diesel that's a no no, cause the air has to be purged from the fuel system. I've never run a direct injected gas powered engine out of fuel before.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: 1999 175hp Evinrude

one theory is that if one cylinders starts to get starved of fuel before the others it is going through the mechanical frictional action without the benefit of OIL!!! thus it is likely to scour a cylinder wall...that might hurt or might not hurt the engine...the biggest question is what trick you are using to get 83 gallons of fuel out of a 53 gallon tank......Id love to buy one of those thanks!!!!! id put it in my corvette!!!!!bob

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Direct injection ?? A model # would help.

sec56

Seaman

I have two fuel tanks. I believe the main tank is 53 gallons, and the auxillary tank is 30 gallons. That would be a neat trick if i could get 83 gallons out of a 53 gallon tank. The Evinrude model number is E175FPLEEC.

sec56

Seaman

I'm working on lightening the boats load to see where my WOT is with a 15 x17 prop. On another forum I have is in regards to my current prop and the fact that WOT loaded is at the lower end of factory recommend rpm's. Anyway, I figure if I shed the fuel in the main tank, that will reduce part of my load by 318lbs. Then I'll shed other weight such as extra passengers and equipment. Srry if i'm a bit off tangent with this. I just don't want to harm the engine.