Johnson 115 hp choke problem

Bravo 51

Recruit
Serveral years ago, I was given a 78-79?? Johnson 115 hp motor. I didn't have much trouble getting it to run and took the boat to the water. It ran fine for a couple of trips then sat up for a year. When I tried to start it again, I couldn't get it to start. I took the carbs off and cleaned them, cleaned the fuel pump and fuel lines. I reset the choke plates to the specs in the book. Now the question: With the switch "On" the choke closes when the choke switch is activated. But when I turn to "Start" the choke butterflies open up and won't start. I visited this site right after I got the motor just looking for information on this motor. I seem to remember someone with a similar problem but I can't recall the solution.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Johnson 115 hp choke problem

Welcome to the forum.
Have you checked voltage at the solenoid when trying to start?

Bravo 51

Recruit

No, haven't thought of that yet. I'll have to wait until I can get a multi-meter and an extra pair of hands. In the mean time I'll study the manual some more. Thanks, I'll let you know how it works out.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

If you have the key switch "on" and the key pushed in, the solenoid should activate the choke plates. If the choke works when the key pushed in when in the "run" position, but not when the key is turned to the "start" position-that's a problem. Possible the key switch itself is defective.

Bravo 51

Recruit

There is a spring loaded toggle switch that operates the choke. The ignition switch is Off-On and spring loaded Start. The switch is fixed with no "push in".

phipps

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like you are losing power to the choke switch when you turn the key to start. The 12V feed to the choke switch should be coming off a terminal on the key switch that has power in the "on" and "start" positions. That's where I'd start looking.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The older OMC's used a separate toggle switch for the choke. 76 was the last year. Your choke is part of the key switch. I'd start my testing there.

phipps

Petty Officer 1st Class

The older OMC's used a separate toggle switch for the choke. 76 was the last year. Your choke is part of the key switch. I'd start my testing there.

Unless his boat has been rewired. My pontoon has the seperate toggle switch for the choke and I just put an 83 Evinrude on it. Works perfectly.

Bravo 51

Recruit

Sorry for the slow replies. I work a 12 hr. night shift and some sleep is a must. From what I was told about the motor, it has been through at least 4 previous owners so I have no way of knowing what may have been changed. I'd have to go back and recheck the serial no. but I believe it is a 78 or 79 model engine. Could be wrong though. I'm off this week end so I'll have a chance to check the things you fellas have suggested. Thanks.