Johnson Sailmaster 6 kill broken

Capt Canuck

Recruit
I've just purchased a second hand sailmaster. Model #CJ6SLCUD. I mounted it on our sailboat and it worked great! Great that is until I raised the motor and the tiller hit the hand rail and completely snapped off the kill switch. The clip and the end of the switch are safely resting on the bottom of the lake.

Is there a way to bypass this switch or will I need to replace it? If I have to replace it, any suggestions?

Thanks

Geoff

Last edited:

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: Johnson Sailmaster 6 kill broken

I've just purchased a second hand sailmaster. Model #CJ6SLCUD. I mounted it on our sailboat and it worked great! Great that is until I raised the motor and the tiller hit the hand rail and completely snapped off the kill switch. The clip and the end of the switch are safely resting on the bottom of the lake.

Is there a way to bypass this switch or will I need to replace it? If I have to replace it, any suggestions?

Thanks

Geoff

Not sure exactly how much you have broken off. The knob is also the idle speed adjustment ... at least it is on mine but it is an earlier model without a safety lanyard.
I take it with the switch broken you cannot run the engine?

Look at the parts list/ diagram on the BRP website BRP -- Parts Catalogs

If the idle sped knob is not damaged then fitting a separate kill switch may be an option. Do you want to be able to use a safety lanyard ... It seems to me to be a useless feature on a sail boat.

You could wire a separate switch ( note they close to stop the engine), with or without the lanyard feature, on the engine lower cowl. Disconnect, or simply cut, the wires going to the existing switch and connect the new one in its place.

Or you could replace the whole switch assembly in the tiller end.

Just disconnecting or cutting and insulating the wires to the switch will enable you to run the engine but you wont have a button to stop it! You'd have to disconnect the fuel and wait.

Full list price is $115 US for the switch and a another $13 for the lanyard.

Just for fun a picture of my 6hp Evinrude Yachtwin

DSCF0287.jpg

Last edited:

Capt Canuck

Recruit
Re: Johnson Sailmaster 6 kill broken

Thanks for the help!

Step 1: Order Manual - Done!

Step 2: Order Parts - Working on it!

We had an electric trolling motor stashed and it's strong enough (in calm wind) to get us in and out of the marina so we mounted it and had a terrific sail! We've only owned the boat 7 weeks but the wind was great ... right up until it died. Let's just say it was a relaxing downwind leg back home!

Thanks for your help and here's where the Johnson will be mounted ...

Cheers

Geoff

Tack Collector Sailing.jpg