Evinrude Sportwin 3.3 1947-51 Fuel & Lower unit lube IMPORTANT!!

ColdBlueFire

Recruit
After picking up a Evinrude Sportwin 3.3 1947-51 for a steal ($15 :D) I set about restoring it to running condition. While doing this I checked the lower unit and found good old white grease in it. After searching the web extensively and finding this site and Smokstak what I found was people recommending #105 Lubriplate grease from NAPA as the recommended lube for the unit. Not necessarily believing this I continued searching until I found the same recommendation on Evinrudes site as a generic entry! Well I emptied, cleaned and filled it with good old #105 and set about tweaking the engine.

I need some minor parts so I was searching EBay about an hour ago when I found the very Simplex Starter cover I need some parts from. While comparing the parts to a local unit for sell (from a different model) I noticed the EBay shroud still had the factory sticker on it for lube and fuel mixtures. It states the Sportwin uses a break in mixture of 1/2 pint oil to 1 gallon fuel (1:16) for the first 4 hours from new and thereafter a 1/3 of a pint per gallon (1:24) for fuel. It also says to use S.A.E. 40 weight oil for the gear housing (DO NOT USE GREASE)!!!

Note the label in the shroud on the attached picture (if you cannot read it blow up the image in whatever you use to view/edit images)

Evinrude Sportwin 3.3 1947-51 Simplex Starter.jpg

So gents if you got them, stop using it and clean it out and fill it with the right stuff! I know I will be doing that next.