CD-10 Johnson 5.5 Sea Horse need to remove lower end for water pump repair

Wildman4168

Recruit
I just tuned up my Johnson 5.5 Sea Horse and noticed the water pump not pumping water. I took the 4 bolts out of the lower end. It will not slide apart any further. I need your help. I have no book or parts break down to repair this. How do I get the lower end apart to repair the water pump?

Last edited:

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: CD-10 Johnson 5.5 Sea Horse need to remove lower end for water pump repair

Welcome to the forum.
I think you are going to have to pull the power head to disconnect the shift linkage in order to remove the lower unit.

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant

Daviet is correct about removing the powerhead to disconnect the shift rod. Before you do that, however, be sure that the motor was submerged at least to about 3 inches above where those 4 screws were. If not, then the pump was not primed and would not pump water until is was properly submerged.

slipshift

Recruit

I think the thermostat has to be open for the water to circulate and pump out the back. If the motor isn't warmed up the thermostat will be closed. I just got my Johnson MQ-10R and when I ran it in a barrel no water was coming out. I shut it down so it wouldn't overheat and thought something was wrong. When I let it warm up it started pumping fine.

Jim

lindy46

Captain

I think the thermostat has to be open for the water to circulate and pump out the back. If the motor isn't warmed up the thermostat will be closed. I just got my Johnson MQ-10R and when I ran it in a barrel no water was coming out. I shut it down so it wouldn't overheat and thought something was wrong. When I let it warm up it started pumping fine.

Jim

CD10 doesn't have a thermostat.

Wildman4168

Recruit

Well I did read an old post and learned I needed to pull the power head off. Seven screws later and off it came and so did a washer and it looked like a seal stuck to it . Not sure where that goes yet but I unbolted the double nutted shift rod and pulled every thing out the bottom. What happened I just tuned it up and put the boat on the lake and after I set my carb one pull and away we went. Tuned it in and it ran great. But I went about 400 yards and it quit. Over heated, so I rowed it back to the boat launch and loaded it, back home I went. Engine turns over and seems to have compression. It did over heat where it turned the gas to a brite orange in the carb. It dripped out a nasty color when I flipped the power head upside down to set it on top of my work bench. I need to clean that out of the fuel lines and carb yet. I took the empeller out and the key had spong a grove inside the expeller's fiber hub. I called NAPA and they said they have the expeller for $19.00 , but they have a kit that includes the plate for $26. I need all the seals and gaskets to put this back together. I have a store a little ways from me that has parts, but they are very expensive. How many parts does NAPA carry for this CD10 Sea Horse 5.5 HP? I need to reseal the lower end. The main drive shaft that drives the lower end is groved up pretty good where the water pump impeller housing bushing runs on the drive shaft. Not sure just how to fix that yet. That could get expensive. I may end up with a motor for parts before it is all done, but I sure enjoyed this motor when it was running good.

Last edited:

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Well, the Sierra impellers are notorious for doing exactly what happened to you. They either bore out a groove, or the whole hub spins on you. My advice is to go to your local dealer and get an OEM impeller.

Now regarding the carbon seal, do NOT forget about it! It is a critical item, that needs to be installed correctly otherwise you get water into your powerhead. Check marineengine for a parts manual and breakdown. Sierra will have a seal kit that NAPA could get for you.