15 hp evinrude wont go forward!!! only reverse and neutral

I was out fishing and when I started the motor up it wouldnt go forward. The shift lever feels normal. Theres no unusual play in it and it works in reverse. It just wont go forward. There was no slipping or any problems before. It just alll of a sudden wont work. Any ideas??? The engine is a 15 hp evinrude. Model # 15504c

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 15 hp evinrude wont go forward!!! only reverse and neutral

Will it shift properly if rotate the prop by hand and move the shifter?
Has anyone had the lower unit off, maybe the shift linkage connector loosened up.

Tom Maslar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Daviet is right! I had the exact same problem with my motor. There is a cover on the side of the leg to inspect the linkage. Remove the two screws and see if the top linkage bar came out. It slides into the brass coupler to allow the screw to pass through the notch in the linkage bar and lock it in place. Reverse is the default position when the linkage is seperated.

Thanks for the replys guys. I removed the lower unit and all of its contents. Every gear and peice was taken out and reinstalled. Only to find out that it was a striped screw in the brass linkage. I did a lot of un needed work. But I appreicate the help!!!

Bubbles Up

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don't look at it as unneeded work, think of it as a detailed inspection.