18hp 1960 Evinrude Fastwin Knocks and misses at low idle

Tom Maslar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
motor ran like a sewing machine two days ago. I tried lowering the idle speed screw on the side of the motor and re-:facepalm: adjusting the carb. the carb now seems hyper-sensitive to adjustment and i cant get it dialed in. I get close but it idles to high--so I lower the idle speed screw and try to adjust the carb but go to the left she stalls go to the right she knocks? Was not like that before i messed with idle speed screw. I am thinking I developed a vaccuum leak in the old packing for one of the jet screws? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

nwcove

Admiral
Re: 18hp 1960 Evinrude Fastwin Knocks and misses at low idle

jmo, but leave the idle screw out of the mix it has nothing to do with tuning the motor. and you mention old packing? what have you done as far as carb rebuild goes?

Tom Maslar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

honestly, it looks like new and the motor ran fine so i never touched it. Can thos packing washers be a problem? I am thinking about rebuilding the carb. The high speed jet is not "sharp" but it has a point

nwcove

Admiral

for the few bucks and time it takes to re-build the carb, its well worth it. if the old packings are leaking air, you wont be able to tune the motor.

Tom Maslar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok thats all i need to know. The packings are roached so thanks a lot for the info. Much appreciated