1984 evinrude 35hp starting problem

EZSteury

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello I'm EZ from Maryland, I'm a newbie boater and learning about 2 stroke for some time now.:happy:

I have a problem with a new to Me outboard (evinrude 35hp model e35elcrr remote throttle and shifter), it ran fine but only seems to start in full throttle and when it does start after a few tries of course it screams until I lower the rpms and then it dies but it will keep running if I give it about 3/4 throttle much lower and it will die again. I pulled the carb and it looks spotless clean, pulled the diaphragm pump and it looks clean then the little electric pump next to the throttle that will pulse once when I give it 12v, everything looks fine but it will do what I described above when I try to start it. Please help.

jasper60103

Commander
Last edited:

EZSteury

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1984 evinrude 35hp starting problem

Welcome aboard, EZ.
The problem you described sounds like the idle circuit on the carb needs attention. There is a sticky on the top of the forum with lots of helpful tips, including carb rebuild and adjustment procedure. Also, lots of folks on the forum willing to help answer questions. Hope this helps...

http://forums.iboats.com/johnson-evinrude-outboards/top-secret-file-updated-8-1-2012-a-299680.html

Thank You, I'll get reading right away.