evinrude ignition wiring?

relics hunter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ive got an '80 E35ELCSM model. I purchased a sierra switch for it and wired it according to the service manual and it's obviously incorrect somehow because when in the on position the starter runs and doesn't stop until switched off.
here's my wiring: red/purple-B
Black/yellow-M
Red/yellow-I - Is S in the manual if the manufacturer directions are correct.
purple/white-C
Black-M
I'm stumped folks, if anyone can help me out here I'd appreciate it.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: evinrude ignition wiring?

Red/Yellow is start ("S") If you have it connected to "I", that is the problem.

EDIT: "I" is for purple wires (if there are any).

Last edited:

relics hunter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

3 Position Magneto Ignition Switches | SeaStar Solutions
Ok, this is the switch I have and the package and this company link don't agree. My switch has an I and A, it looks like the A should have been a S, and it's marked wrong. I took A to be accessory and hooked the red/yellow wire to the I (I didn't have an S like the manual said). Does this sound right to move the red/yellow to the A?
Note my switch has an A, that is a S on the company website.

clanton

Rear Admiral

The first problem is it is a sierra switch. The second problem is looks like switch for stern drive.

Connect the red wire to B, turn key to start position, probe switch termials, looking for hot terminal, that goes off after switch returns to run position, that should make the starter work.
Connect purple wire to terminal A, hot when key is on.

clanton

Rear Admiral

If terminal I is hot with key in the on position, you need a different switch.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Dang it, there is nothing wrong with that switch or the hookup it shows. Read what I wrote above. Red/yellow is the starter solenoid wire and goes to "S" as the diagram shows. Red/purple is the battery feed and goes to "B". If you have any solid purple wires, they all go to "I" (sometimes marked "A"). Black/yellow is the kill wire (they are calling it "magneto") and goes to one "m". Other "M" is grounded. Connect the stupid thing as it shows and it will work.

BTW, "I" is supposed to be "hot" when the key is turned on. But that hasn't got a thing to do with the starter running.

EDIT: Do not under any circumstances connect the Black/yellow wire to a voltage source, or you will destroy the power pack. In other words, be careful with what you are doing.

Last edited:

relics hunter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've got it worked out. This is a push to choke switch by the way.
Chokes good,purple to C, the kill works black and black/yellow to the two M's. The link I posted shows the correct hook up I assume/agree.
My problem is the switch is marked wrong. The I connecter said ignition circuit, seemed like where you would put the yellow/red to me, but that's for extra stuff like accessories.
Then the connecter marked A is really S on the instructions. That did it.
Thanks, it works fine now, put some fuel to it and see what I have.