1961 Johnson 5.5 hp replacement coils don't fit

ragnar333

Cadet
I'm working on this old 5.5 for a friend, and along the way I discovered a set of coils that were all age cracked and nonfunctional. When I used the current part number for the coils during an online search, I was provided many options. I had the choice of OEM, Sierra, and CDI. I bought the CDI coils because I have had good luck with CDI electronics on other projects. Well, I installed them and it seems like they don't quite fit right. When I turn the flywheel, one or both of them seem to bind slightly. There isn't much adjustment with them since only one mounting hole is slightly slotted and the other one isn't. Something just barely touches because I can actually start the engine, but at low speeds I can feel the flywheel dragging slightly on the plate that the coils and points are mounted on. You can actually feel the throttle lever wanting to twist to the slow speed position while it's running.

Just wondering if anyone else has had similar problems with the CDI replacement coils, and maybe what I should do about it. It almost seems like it is minor enough to "wear in" if it was run long enough. I can definatley see where one coil is making contact on the inside of the flywheel. It's slight, but it's there.

lindy46

Captain
Re: 1961 Johnson 5.5 hp replacement coils don't fit

Coils are mounted via three bolts into the mag plate. Loosen them and adjust the coils so they are flush with the mounting bosses on the mag plate. Use a straight-edge to make sure they are flush. Then tighten down the three bolts.

nwcove

Admiral
Re: 1961 Johnson 5.5 hp replacement coils don't fit

they need to be aligned with the mounting bosses, to much "out', and they will rub the flywheel, to much "in" will result in weak spark. dont think for one second that they will " wear in".