1991 Johnson 88hp fuel problem

SSPrint

Cadet
Hello All,

I'm back on fuel problem on the 88 hp Johnson. Took it to the lake today to see how it would run on the water as it seemed to do just fine on the muffs. Same old thing it will run about 10-15 MPH and that's all. I had it at WOT and I just held in the choke and it slowly, slowly, slowly, gained RMP until it was RUNNING like it should. Once it was up and on plane I could let go the choke and it would run just fine. If I slowed down and then try to speed back up it would take longer to get back up to speed than it should. However if I let it slow way down then I would have to choke it back to full RMP. I think I read somewhere that the carbs had high speed jets and low speed jets. Is this true, and should I look in that direction. In the past I have gotten good info from several folks, and I thank you.

Mike

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: 1991 Johnson 88hp fuel problem

have you checked for airleaks in the small hoses around the engine or for any crankcase leaking?
Is the primer bulb holding firm?
theres idle orifices and i think high speed jets on that engine. a partial blockage in any will cause that problem.
how she idle? im assuming ok?