71 Johnson 60ESL-71C Drive shaft removal

Neil G.

Seaman
Hi, in process of removing driveshaft to get at forward gear and oil pump.
Manual states special tool required to remove pinion locknut, anyone know what else might work to get this nut off?
Thanks

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 71 Johnson 60ESL-71C Drive shaft removal

There was a socket that fit the splines on the drive shaft to hold/turn the drive shaft.
If I remember correctly you would put a wrench on the pinion nut and rotate the drive shaft.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

It is of utmost importance that you use a torque wrench (with that special socket) to tighten the nut when you put it back together. OK, I know, most people don't. But it is disaster when the nut comes loose.

But the question was how to get it off without the socket. Grab shaft in a vise, and turn nut with a wrench.

Last edited:

Neil G.

Seaman

Thanks for the info. Went to local marine store and owner showed me a new 11/16th's pinion locknut, as it turns out someone was at this pinion nut I'm fighting to get off and did a great number of rounding the edges so that's why none of my sockets/wrenches were fitting. So now have the vise, nut extractor kit and will go and give this another shot. Hopefully pics to follow of the condition of pinion and forward gear when I get nut off.
Thanks again

Neil G.

Seaman

As it turned out a file, 18mm socket, 11/16 open end wrench and a whole lot of time and patience finally got the pinion locknut off. With a closer look of the nut it almost looks like it was damaged as this gear case had a blown clutch dog. Also seems part of the pinion nut melted or something as part of it can be seen on end of driveshaft pic. Anyways pinion gear looks good but there are a few teeth damaged on forward and reverse gears. Not sure if gears are bad enough and must be changed now or I can install new dog and make it through another month or so of boating. Any suggestions/ideas are always appreciated. Thanks

Reverse gear.jpgForward gear.jpgPinion Gear.jpgPinion nut.jpgDrive shaft end.jpg

Neil G.

Seaman

Anyone? As I'm in a bit of a holding pattern with not much knowledge (other than reading) on these gear cases.

orbanp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Neil,

Do I see it correctly that the reverse gear is in a lot worse shape than the forward gear?
If so, clean up the reverse gear (if it requires, it is hard to see from the picture) and you might chance to re-assemble things with a new dog clutch and pinon gear nut, and try to use it.

You also mentioned that you are getting really good at taking that thing apart ;-)

Those pieces that are missing from the gears, were they in the gear case with other metal pieces and shavings, or the mishap happened before, and at a previous repair those pieces were removed? If so, then those gears did work for some time with those pieces missing without causing any further damage!

BTW, the service manual says that inspect the gears (and other pieces), and replace them if worn ;-)

Are those gears still available? Are they expensive?

Good luck, Peter

Last edited:

Neil G.

Seaman

Thanks Peter, yes reverse gear is a bit worse than forward but overall don't look too bad (but then again I've never really seen this before).
Yes, getting good at taking lower unit off and on power head but never been this far into a gear case.
I'm thinking seeing I've never been this far before these pieces missing from gears are all probablly what lead to clutch dog shattering as it was hard shifting (clunking) when shifting into gear.
Gears are available and expensive.
Thanks again.

Neil G.

Seaman

After much more thought on my spare lower unit issue, I have decided to repair properly and try and find a set of new or good used gears as obviously there was a reason for the clutch dog shattering in the first place. So a couple questions still remain on this thread and that would be:
Is there any way to test if oil pump is working?
Does anyone have a line on some good used gears?
Thanks for all the help so far on these threads as I guess I will refocus on getting other lower unit that lost forward gear last week up and running.
That thread can be found at:
http://forums.iboats.com/johnson-evinrude-outboards/yesterdays-post-1971-johnson-60esl-71c-lower-unit-problems-622253.html

Thanks again!

orbanp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is there any way to test if oil pump is working?

Hi Neil,

The pump in the gear case works if the inner rotor is engaged, i.e. if it is rotating. All the test for the pump are on those pages that I posted previously. Only check is if the pump surfaces are parallel. There are no specs for the rotor tip/outer ring clearance in the manual. There is no pressure test either.
See if the rotor and outer ring surfaces are damaged, they could have been damaged by the shattered pieces of the dog clutch and gears, though there is a screen for the pump to filter out the big pieces if they came loose in a gear case.

Peter