1993 Evinrude Intruder how to instal Temperature Gauge ?

KirkSpock

Cadet
Hello

I have a 1993 Evinrude Intruder 175 HP model e175glet

Can you install a temperature gauge on the motor
I think it may be running hot and causing the motor
to die

thanks
miker

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: 1993 Evinrude Intruder how to instal Temperature Gauge ?

yep you should be able too. ive never done one.
Have you taken a temp reading with a infra red gun?
If not try putting your hands on the heads, you should be able to hold your hand there for a few seconds. Are they different oor similar temperatures?
It has overheat sensors on that engine, does your warning horn sound briefly when you turn the key?

KirkSpock

Cadet

Hello Bosunsmate
What a beautiful dog !!

I will try what you say, there is no warning buzzer and VRO was removed by someone else.
I am waiting on my service manual from e-bay to get wiring diagram to hook up warning buzzer.
I notice a threaded hole in one of the heads that has nothing in it and was thinking
I could screw a sensor for a temp gauge into it, probably get one at the auto parts store.

thanks
miker

P.S. Always wanted to visit New Zealand, my dad visited in the 1980's when his wife was a stewardess with Pan Am and LOVED it.

phillnjack2

Ensign

the threaded hole
if at the top of a cylinder head is the place to fit it.
I got a guage and sender from auto store and it fits and works great.
with a v6 or v4 I would buy 2 gauges and senders or atleast 2 senders anyway and have a flick switch to see what each side is showing.
the second sender can simply be fitted to the cylinder head by using a bolt and a simple z shaped piece of metal so the bottom of the sender touches the head itself.

the only problem is auto guages have the middle of the guage at around 88 degrees, and yours will normally run at around 55 to 65 degree's, so will be showing at around the 10 to 11 oclock position instead of the 12 oclock position.
I find mine is brilliant, and watch it all the time.
alarms only go off when its GOT TOO HOT ,

I prefer to know way before its toooooo hot...so to me a guage is the answer

phill

Last edited: