Evinrude 85hp 2 stroke wont go in forward reverse is very slow

ffmedic60

Recruit
I have a 24ft pontoon that has an 85hp evinrude pre 1979 motor on it. During the course of the summer it has progressively gotten worse. It starts right up however when I lift the idle handle it doesnt rev the motor up like it did last summer. Then throughout the course of the summer when I engage the motor into forward or reverse it didnt seem like it was getting up to full power. Now something has definitely changed when i engage the motor to forward it revs way up and goes nowhere with a ton of water coming out of the exhaust. So I put it back into neutral and then to reverse and it goes very slow in reverse. I know reverse isnt suppose to go very fast but it definitely is slower than it has been. The motor never sounds like it is starving for fuel. I put new plugs and changed the fuel filter. Im pretty sure its something in my control box. If anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude 85hp 2 stroke wont go in forward reverse is very slow

So you are telling us that it revs up but doesn't go anywhere? Well that certainly is not a fuel problem. Lets start with a couple of possibilities though. It is possible that it isn't actually shifting into gear. You list it as "pre-1979". An actual year is necessary to know what may keep it from shifting. OK, that aside, the most likely cause is a spun propeller hub. Also the cheapest.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude 85hp 2 stroke wont go in forward reverse is very slow

Model # ???