Lagging timer base? (85hp Evinrude)

CaneCutter79

Chief Petty Officer
My timer base is lagging. When you engage the throttle lever, it moves forward but the timing lever hangs back (doesn't move) until you engage the throttle full and then the spring inside the throttle lever engages and finally the timing base lever jumps forward.

I found a slight adjustment that was off and engaged the carb too much causing flooding carb/fouling plugs and combined with the timing not advancing.

Is there a fix or do I have to find another timer base?

CaneCutter79

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Lagging timer base? (85hp Evinrude)

Yep, I had that happen. I removed the lever, drilled a cotter pin hole, added a plastic bushing about the right size, inserted a cotter pin and it WON'T come out now! :)

My timer base is definately needing lubricated.

Anyone got any advice on how to lube a timer base? That's all I need and then months of crazy starting problems and other goofy issues will all go away! I'm so happy I could tear up right now! Haha!

By the way, thanks for your post. We need to keep in touch since we have the same motor. I bet we can help each other out often with fixes. Same exact model no. motor as mine. That's awesome.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Probably the best way to lube it is to remove the flywheel, stator and then the timer base. Clean everything and lube the timer base and reinstall it.

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

Yep, I had that happen. I removed the lever, drilled a cotter pin hole, added a plastic bushing about the right size, inserted a cotter pin and it WON'T come out now! :)

My timer base is definately needing lubricated.

Anyone got any advice on how to lube a timer base? That's all I need and then months of crazy starting problems and other goofy issues will all go away! I'm so happy I could tear up right now! Haha!

By the way, thanks for your post. We need to keep in touch since we have the same motor. I bet we can help each other out often with fixes. Same exact model no. motor as mine. That's awesome.

I will watch with intrest hope you find the fix to your problem. I may have the same issue some time:D

CaneCutter79

Chief Petty Officer

Probably the best way to lube it is to remove the flywheel, stator and then the timer base. Clean everything and lube the timer base and reinstall it.

Yes but with what kind of lube? Is there a special lubricant like die electric grease or what?

I can do the rest. I just need to know what kind of lube. I'm so excited that I found my motor problem that I've been searching for for months that I could just pop! Lol!

Thanks all!

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Book says OMC Moly Lube on the bushing, and oil on the retaining ring. Main thing is use light enough lube that it doesn't make it gummy.

BTW, that is a very common problem.

CaneCutter79

Chief Petty Officer

Well.......this solved my engine problems. I had to remove the flywheel completely and then remove the stator and timer base. I am NOT Happy that Evinrude felt it was a good idea to use a cheap plastic retainer ring to keep the timer base in place and the plastic retainer ring is where the friction occurs between the timer base and the motor. THe grease that was applied must have been too thick and it gummed up and that was the problem.

I cleaned it off and used 3-N-1 oil for electric motors (thin lightweight oil). The timer base lever now operates smoothly. My throttle response has NEVER been smoother. All becuase the timer base was lagging behind and not moving forward with the rest of the throttle lever.

Thanks to all for your help!