74 70hp evinrude choke solenoid problem

bfields83

Cadet
Ok I have a 1974 70hp evinrude mondel# 70473m. I noticed yesterday that at the end of the choke solenoid where plunger should be is melted into a burnt little ball. My first question is how could that happen? My other concern is the linkage. Is there a rod that should connect to the plunger to move it in and out? And also would this make my motor die out almost immediatley when i put it in gear?wwwould thos male

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 74 70hp evinrude choke solenoid problem

Can't tell you why your solenoid melted, got hot somehow, maybe poor electrical connections.
The plunger should have a spring under it, when you engage the choke the solenoid pulls the plunger down and activates the choke plates on the carbs by a piece of linkage. When you release the choke, the spring under the plunger pushes it up and releases the choke plates.

bfields83

Cadet

Yes I believe it was wired up wrong as I checked the wiring earlier. I have no clue why there was a plastic piece stuck down in the solenoid. My next problem is I cannot find the rod that connects to the plunger and where it hooks up I have all other parts ordered but that. I checked a diagram which helped but doesn't show me exactly which rod it is cause its all spread out to show each individual part. If I could see a pic of this area of the motor that's correctly put together would be great.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

It's not actually a rod, it's a spring, #23, and is held on to the linkage by a tiny o-ring, #46.
Once you get all the parts and have the choke lever in the auto position, it should line up with a pin on the center carb close to the auto lever.
:: iShopMarine.com ::

bfields83

Cadet

Awesome thank you very much. Hopefully I can get it hooked up right. One last question as far as my problem goes..wouldbthe fact that the choke solenoid is bad make the engine die when I would go to put it in gear?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

As long as the solenoid is not moving the choke plate to partically choke the engine, no, it would not have any affect on the stalling.

cgibbo308

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ok. mine is a 1978 70hp but they should be pretty much the same
choke rs (3).jpg

choke rs  (5).jpg

choke rs (6).jpg

Last edited:

bfields83

Cadet

Thank u very much! But I guess I've got other problems if this isn't the.culprit of makong it die as soon as I pit it in gear. By the way it only dies out on me when its under a load. Does fine when we have the muffs hooked up. Could the carbs meed adjusted?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Your carbs have fixed orifices and are not adjustable, when was the last time your carbs overhauled? What is your idle RPM set at? If you set the idle while running on a hose, it's to low. Back pressure on the exhaust when in the water will cause a lower idle.

bfields83

Cadet

I haven't checked the rpms cause I don't know what I need to check them. But today I took the carbs off to see if they were dirty and yea they were beyond dirty especially the center carb. I soaked them in gas and cleaned them with carb.cleaner real well hooked everything back up and bam! Fired up quick! I'm just hoping under load it will finally be ready to go. Plus I got 2 gaskets coming in for the manifold and I got the plugs for the holes on tje cover hoping that helps with the vacuum. Any thing else I may need to check?