1991 Johnson 25 hp Water pump question

bnjtown

Cadet
Hello everyone,

I recently acquired a '91 Johnson 25 very very cheap with a solid boat and trailer. But as always these things come with a catch.. The guy who sold it to me was in mid process of changing the impeller but apparently got frustrated and gave up. He got as far as pulling the foot off and getting the actual impeller out but is seems he could not figure out how to remove the nut from the bottom of the shift shaft. The pieces he did remove were given to me in a plastic bag..

That is the background.

What i need help with is to make sure every part i need to properly put it back together is accounted for. I have attached a pic that has the parts laid out on a table in a semi chronological order.

Parts included are; Drive shaft, Brass water tube, Grommet for top of tube, driveshaft sleeve, impeller housing, Impeller, bottom plate, shift rod nut, plastic keeper thingy

WP assembly.jpg

My main concerns are; should there be an o ring on the drive shaft anywhere, and should there be some sort of seal or gasket on the top of the foot? reason being with the shaft pulled out of the foot, if i turn it upside down gear oil pours out.

Thanks, and if you need additional info just ask

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1991 Johnson 25 hp Water pump question

I haven't really taken the time to figure out just what he has done here, but just want to say that of course the oil pours out if you turn it upside down with the shaft pulled out. Wine pours out of a bottle if you turn it upside down with the cork out. Not being a smart-a**, just trying to explain.

Or am I reading your question wrong?

Now, I'll take a look and see if I can figure out the rest of it. Obviously, I see a broken gasket, but you knew that.

EDIT: I assume the stainless liner and wear plate are in the pump housing? And if I am not mistaken, the drive shaft spline seal is in the crankshaft on that model, so no, none goes on the drive shaft. But smear some moly grease on the splines. Other than that, I don't see any problem.

Last edited:

bnjtown

Cadet
Re: 1991 Johnson 25 hp Water pump question

Ok thank you.

I know the gear oil part seemed like a dumb question but sometimes what seems like a no brainer actually could provide good feedback. No offense taken. It seemed right to me but just wanted to make sure that was not an indicator of a blown seal or something.

And yes the liner is in the housing. Obviously going to replace the gaskets.