2000 Johnson 200hp model J200PLSSC - LOW OIL AND CHECK ENGINE LIGHT BRIEFLY COMES ON

jh47828

Cadet
HI,
I have a 2000 Johnson 200 hp model J200PLSSC on a 19ft Stratos 19SS Extreme bass boat. I have been fishing about every day the last two summers. She has got a lot of use in the last two years. The last two trips i had the low oil and check engine light (bottom two lights on the system check gauge) come on for a few seconds with alarm and then go off. The first time it occurred at take off the second was right after take off. No other lights come on. She goes through the normal light sequence at start. She smokes some at start up, but runs great.

I started imaging she was not using as much oil, she was running slower, etc... But, i think it is in my head.

I have bought a new VRO/OMS pump, T-stats, oil filter, and water pump kit for maintenance.

Any ideas about the lights?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2000 Johnson 200hp model J200PLSSC - LOW OIL AND CHECK ENGINE LIGHT BRIEFLY COMES

Could be float in oil tank or even low oil in tank..

jh47828

Cadet
Re: 2000 Johnson 200hp model J200PLSSC - LOW OIL AND CHECK ENGINE LIGHT BRIEFLY COMES

I had the oil tank full. Yea, I thought it might be some obstruction in the oil/fuel flow and maybe some kind of sensor in the oil tank. I have ordered a new OMS/VRO pump and plan to flush the oil tank, change the oil filter,test the low oil once i have the OMS primed. I might even replace oil lines to the motor. I just don't understand why both would come on together unless it might be electrical related. From what i have read on the forum, the check engine sometimes is related to fuel flow and voltage flow and the low oil light is directly related to oil tank when it gets down to 1/4 or so full. I am not sure how to test the oil sensor -- other than placing a small amount of oil in the tank. I am not sure if I can do some kind of ohms test on the sensor to check voltage, when I have it out to flush the oil tank. I can't see any leaking fuel lines, although, I did add a fuel water separator last summer (10 micron) and added about 3 foot of fuel line in the process.

All this maintenance may be an over-kill, but i am retired and this will my last boat. I want it to last as long as possible.

I am not sure if this motor has any kind of voltage regulator? Could a low battery or voltage change cause something like this? Thanks for the reply.

jh47828

Cadet

I had the oil tank full. Yea, I thought it might be some obstruction in the oil/fuel flow and maybe some kind of sensor in the oil tank. I have ordered a new OMS/VRO pump and plan to flush the oil tank, change the oil filter,test the low oil once i have the OMS primed. I might even replace oil lines to the motor. I just don't understand why both would come on together unless it might be electrical related. From what i have read on the forum, the check engine sometimes is related to fuel flow and voltage flow and the low oil light is directly related to oil tank when it gets down to 1/4 or so full. I am not sure how to test the oil sensor -- other than placing a small amount of oil in the tank. I am not sure if I can do some kind of ohms test on the sensor to check voltage, when I have it out to flush the oil tank. I can't see any leaking fuel lines, although, I did add a fuel water separator last summer (10 micron) and added about 3 foot of fuel line in the process.

All this maintenance may be an over-kill, but i am retired and this will my last boat. I want it to last as long as possible.

I am not sure if this motor has any kind of voltage regulator? Could a low battery or voltage change cause something like this? Thanks for the reply.

Greg_E

Chief Petty Officer

Original post deleted.

Info posted was for an older model and does not apply to a 2000 200 HP engine.

Last edited:

jh47828

Cadet

Yes it has a voltage regulator. It is water cooled and is recessed into the block at the top rear of the motor. If you remove the plastic cover that goes over the terminal strip you will see it. Usually if the voltage regulator fails you will notice that the volt meter reads low when the engine is running. The tachometer also will start malfunctioning. It's not the first place I would look to fix your problem unless you see those symptoms. Just an FYI. If you ever see those symptoms fix it immediately. The VR can catch fire.

First, I want to thank you for your responses. I have read many of your post and they are always very good.

Yea, I do not have those symptoms. I ordered a new oil pickup kit last night. I plan to do all the maintenance items listed above prior to running again. It could take a while, given my schedule. Not sure what to use to clean out the oil tank. Don't know if maybe a bad connection on gauge would cause something like this-or-if gauge could be bad. But, I don't think so. I will check all and make an update post after maintenance and test runs. Again, thanks for all the time you spend helping others.

Greg_E

Chief Petty Officer

I'm happy to help when I can, but the info I gave you is incorrect. I guess I should finish my second cup of coffee before I post . I was thinking it was an older motor. The VR is not mounted in the block on a 2000. Not familiar with the 2000 but I didn't see a VR listed in the parts list. I assume it is probably integrated in the EMM but I don't know that. Sorry I couldn't be of help.

Last edited:

jh47828

Cadet

I'm happy to help when I can, but the info I gave you is incorrect. I guess I should finish my second cup of coffee before I post . I was thinking it was an older motor. The VR is not mounted in the block on a 2000. Not familiar with the 2000 but I didn't see a VR listed in the parts list. I assume it is probably integrated in the EMM but I don't know that. Sorry I couldn't be of help.

UPDATE: I have completed minor maintenance (T-Stats, VRO / OMS pump replacement, oil pickup kit, spark plugs, decarbonized, set idle to 650 rpms in gear, etc..) and happy to say that I am NOT getting any alarms now. I guess you do have to do maintenance to a 13 year old motor once and a while. She runs better than she ever has. She will get up and walk a little now. I guess all the alarms Evinrude / Johnson puts on the motor really do work. I think - when you do get an alarm - stop running the motor -- figure out all possible problems -- and address them. I think my problem was a fuel restriction problem. Thanks everyone.