Kill switch/button

JB40jet

Cadet
I have an evinrude E40JERE and the kill switch suddenly isn't turning the engine off. The motor has been running great and all the sudden it wouldn't start. After about a half hour of trying it fired up and ran great but I couldn't turn it off with the kill button on the end of the tiller. I had to replace (at least I did replace) the entire kill switch and wiring about 7 years ago. I just replace the power pack this year and the coil last year. What could be the issue with the kill switch? After the one occurrence I be ran it a few more days and its starting fine and running great so I think it's just the kill button. Any ideas? I'm not that mechanically talented as for as terminology but I'd think this is something I should be able to fix, hopefully without having to replace the entire switch and wires again. Thanks

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: Kill switch/button

You could isolate the kill switch by removing its lead to ground and just use the choke to kill it.
Those kill switches fail at random and often very inconvenient times

JB40jet

Cadet

I've been using the choke to kill it, but didn't think that was a good permanent solution. When I installed the first replacement kill switch I seem to remember the connection was a rubber female and rubber male cap type thing with metal pins inside of them. When I connected them many years ago I remember the connection was very sensitive...too tight and the engine would start and to loose the kill button didn't work. I have not tried adjusting those connections yet because I was at the lake and figured keeping it where it starts reliably was more important for my vacation. Does anyone think this may be the issue.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Check the kill circuit with a ohm meter.

(Ignition Kill Circuit)
(J. Reeves)

A Black wire (ground) should lead from the powerhead to the powerpack. There will also be a Black/Yellow wire leading from the powerpack to a raised "M" terminal of the ignition switch. To complete the circuit, there will be a Black wire from the other "M" terminal of the ignition switch to ground.

When the key is in the OFF position = The two "M" terminals are connected,. effectively shorting/killing the ignition.

When the key in ON position = The two "M" terminals are not connected and the ignition is engaged.

JB40jet

Cadet

Sorry I'm not very mechanically inclined. What would I be looking for or what will this tell me needs to be replaced? Also it is a tiller without a key or on off position. Just the red kill button with a plastic key to hold it out. Not sure If that changes your recommendation but wanted to point it out to you.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

On your engine.... a "black wire with a yellow stripe" will be leading from the powerpack to the red kill button and from that red kill button there should be a "plain black wire" leading to a grounding area somewhere on the powerhead.

Have a friend who is somewhat mechanically inclined to trace those wires for you if you're not up to it.

It could be either a damaged wire or a bad kill button... usually a bad connection somewhere.

JB40jet

Cadet

Thanks so much joe. Sounds like another $114 kill switch assembly assuming the wires look ok like you described.