Disable/reset SLOW on 95 Evinrude 25hp 2 stroke

denzil1300

Cadet
I suspect motor is in SLOW mode. Starts missing at 1/4 throttle and shakes real bad as throttle is increased. Won't rev up as normal. Motor does not have oil injection system so it is my understanding that the temp sensor is the only thing that could cause SLOW mode to engage. To get it out of SLOW mode I disconnect the connector in the tan wire leading from the temp sensor to the powerpack then ground the tan wire coming out of the powerpack. I assume it needs to be grounded with the motor running. Then shut off motor and restart with the temp sensor still disconnected. If it runs normal then either its overheating or temp sensor is bad.

Just wanted to get confirmation that above is correct procedure to get motor out of SLOW mode. Thanks for any help.

Denzil

hidef

Lieutenant
Re: Disable/reset SLOW on 95 Evinrude 25hp 2 stroke

With the engine off disconnect the temp sensor. This will stop the engine from going into slow mode if the engine is overheating. Grounding the tan wire will actually cause the engine to go into slow mode. Before doing any of this though you should check your water pump impeller to make sure it isn't damaged and it is pumping correctly and you should also check the thermostat to make sure it is opening up. If the water pump and thermostat is good then start testing the temp sensor.

denzil1300

Cadet

OK thanks. I wasn't sure based on what I have been reading. Just wanted to see if it was SLOW mode for sure before I move on to powerpack, coils etc. Problem started after motor had been run and shut off for a while. First few times it would act like it was in SLOW mode then after a few minutes start running normally again. Now it always runs like in SLOW mode. I'm pretty sure its cooling properly as I get a good visual stream and motor runs badly right from the dock after only idling for a minute or two.

Denzil

I should add I have cleaned and rebuilt carb, rebuilt fuel pump, replaced fuel filter, primer bulb, and connector to motor. Only difference is it starts much more easily which is a good thing.

Last edited:

denzil1300

Cadet

Went to the water and unhooked temp sensor lead. Made no difference. Still missing at higher revs above 1/4 throttle. I tried unplugging spark plug leads at idle and when revved up. At idle unplugging either spark plug lead caused motor to shut off. At higher revs motor continued to run with no noticeable difference whether running on one plug or 2. Did not matter which plug was disconnected, motor kept running and missing just as it does when both plugs are connected.

Any ideas as to what component is most likely to cause this. I assume this indicates that the plugs are getting weak spark from the coils. Since it is both I suspect the powerpack. Am I on the right track? Any other parts that could cause this? I belive I have eliminated the fuel system as the cause based on my earlier post, but you never know. thanks for any help or suggestions.

hidef

Lieutenant

See page 39 in the CDI Troubleshooting guide. That should help you to determine where the issue is. Guide link is in my sig.

denzil1300

Cadet

Thanks. I will look it over and see if I can figure it out.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Model # ???

denzil1300

Cadet

E25REOR 1995 Evinrude 25 hp 2 stroke, tiller, pull start

denzil1300

Cadet

For anyone reading this and having a similar problem it turned out to be the powerpack. Unplugging the temp sensor did not fix the problem so I replaced the powerpack and got lucky. Thanks for everyones help.