1976 evinrude 35 hp pull start won't start

Jcope19942

Recruit
I have a 1976 evinrude 35 hp that I can't get started. I have spark and fuel. The motor fired a couple times and now I can't get it to fire at all. Do I need to do something with the wiring in order to get it to start? I don't have the key ignition, just the harness that comes on the motor (hence why I'm trying to pull start it).

Any ideas

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1976 evinrude 35 hp pull start won't start

Welcome to the forum.
Will the spark jump a 7/16" air gap and is it bright blue?
Have you checked the compression, what numbers did you get?
Try squirting some fuel mixture into the carb and see if it fires, if it does you have a fuel delivey problem.

Jcope19942

Recruit

Thanks the quick response!
Sparks are bright and strong.
Compression is around 130
I didn't try fuel mix in the carb but I drained out the carb and ran clean fuel.
I also tried that quick start spray. No luck.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Not a good idea to use any type of starting fluid, no lube.
What type of plugs are you running, are they in good shape?
All it takes is compression, fuel and timed spark to make your engine run. Now you have to figure out what is missing, I thinking you might have a fuel problem.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

On the left side of the engine is the fuel pump. There is a large screw in the center of it. That is a cap that covers a screen and the pump diaphram. Loosen the screw and remove the cap. Check the screen that it is clean. Then try and pump some fuel through the pump with the ball. If you get fuel, put it back together then remove the hose to the carb and then turn it over to see if it pumps still.

Last edited: